Japanese Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractJapan's outflows of foreign direct investment (FDI) have increased dramatically in recent years, to the point where Japan has become the world's largest overseas direct investor. This paper documents the increase in Japanese FDI, as well as its breakdown across industries and countries. Investments in real estate and financial services have grown most rapidly, as has Japanese FDI into North America, which now accounts for fully half of Japan's outflows. The paper then goes on to discuss and evaluate some of the most popular explanations for this explosion in investment: Japanese current account surpluses; actual or anticipated protectionism abroad; appreciated stock prices and value of the yen; and changes in international tax policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3737.
Date of creation: Jun 1991
Date of revision:
Note: ITI ME IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scholes, Myron S & Wolfson, Mark A, 1990.
"The Effects of Changes in Tax Laws on Corporate Reorganization Activity,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S141-64, January.
- Myron S. Scholes & Mark A. Wolfson, 1989. "The Effects of Changes in Tax Laws on Corporate Reorganization Activity," NBER Working Papers 3095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, G & Fukao, K, 2001.
"Backward vertical linkages of foreign manufacturing affiliates: Evidence from Japanese multinationals,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/99731, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- Assaf Razin, 2002.
"FDI Contribution to Capital Flows and Investment in Capacity,"
NBER Working Papers
9204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Assaf Razin, 2003. "FDI Contribution to Capital Flows and Investment in Capacity," Working Papers 052003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Anusha Chari & Paige P. Ouimet & Linda L. Tesar, 2004. "Enhancing the Benefits for India and Other Developing Countries in the Doha Development Agenda Negotiations," Working Papers 511, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Anusha Chari & Paige P. Ouimet & Linda L. Tesar, 2004. "Acquiring Control in Emerging Markets: Evidence from the Stock Market," NBER Working Papers 10872, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roger Farrell, 2000. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the World Economy 1951-1997," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 299, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1999.
"Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-45, January.
- Ray Barrell & Nigel Pain, . "Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows," NIESR Discussion Papers 43, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Hackett, Steven C. & Srinivasan, Krishna, 1998. "Do supplier switching costs differ across Japanese and US multinational firms?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 13-32, January.
- Gabrielle Lipworth & Tamim Bayoumi, 1997.
"Japanese Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Trade,"
IMF Working Papers
97/103, International Monetary Fund.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Lipworth, Gabrielle, 1998. "Japanese foreign direct investment and regional trade," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 581-607.
- Urata, Shujiro, 1998. "Explaining the poor performance of Japanese direct investment in the United States," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 49-62, January.
- Peter Drysdale & Roger Farrell, 1999. "Perspectives on Japanese Investment, Employment and Management in Australia," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 290, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.