The Effects of Changes in Tax Laws on Corporate Reorganization Activity
AbstractThe authors present evidence that changes in tax laws passed in the 1980s had a first-order effect on merger and acquisition activity in the United States. They also present evidence of increased reliance on certain institutional arrangements (unit-management buyouts and going-private transactions) that were destined to reduce the nontax costs of reorganization. Their model predicts and their evidence confirms that while the Tax Reform Act of 1986 discouraged transactions among U.S. corporations, it increased the demand for merger and acquisition transactions between U.S. sellers and foreign buyers. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 63 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
Other versions of this item:
- Myron S. Scholes & Mark A. Wolfson, 1989. "The Effects of Changes in Tax Laws on Corporate Reorganization Activity," NBER Working Papers 3095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach & James M. Poterba, 1987.
"Tax Loss Carryforwards and Corporate Tax Incentives,"
in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 305-342
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & James M. Poterba, 1986. "Tax Loss Carryforwards and Corporate Tax Incentives," NBER Working Papers 1863, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & James M. Poterba, 1986. "Tax Loss Carryforwards and Corporate Tax Incentives," Working papers 413, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Schipper, Katherine & Thompson, Rex, 1983. "Evidence on the capitalized value of merger activity for acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 85-119, April.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.