Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the World Economy 1951-1997
AbstractSince the 1980s Japan has emerged as one of the world’s leading sources of foreign direct investment (FDI) reflecting the continuing internationalisation of Japanese corporations. This paper provides a broad survey of trends in Japanese FDI in the postwar period by both country and industry and discusses the motivations for investment. Overseas investment reflects the growth and adjustment of the Japanese economy since the 1950s and is an indicator of how industries have responded to factors such as the appreciation of the yen and the choice between exporting and overseas production. The paper also considers the scope and limitations of the available statistics on Japanese FDI, especially the benchmark Ministry of Finance (MOF) series. The internationalisation of Japanese industry and its geographical allocation and intensity are examined using a consolidated database of MOF statistics of overseas investment. The paper highlights the opportunities that the database creates for future investigations of the determinants of Japanese FDI in the postwar period. Other data sources, such as the MITI, EXIM and Toyo Keizai surveys are drawn upon to provide a detailed overview of the international operations of Japanese corporations. Measures of the rate of internationalisation of Japanese industry and of the intensity of investment by industry and country are estimated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University in its series Asia Pacific Economic Papers with number 299.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2000
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Farrell, 1997. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in Real Estate 1985-1994," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 272, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel., 1993.
"Is Japan Creating a Yen Bloc in East Asia and the Pacific?,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C93-007, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1993. "Is Japan Creating a Yen Bloc in East Asia and the Pacific?," NBER Chapters, in: Regionalism and Rivalry: Japan and the United States in Pacific Asia, pages 53-88 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1995. "Is Japan Creating a Yen Bloc in East Asia and the Pacific?," NBER Working Papers 4050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1992. "Is Japan creating a yen bloc in East Asia and the Pacific?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 92-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Drake, Tracey A. & Caves, Richard E., 1992. "Changing determinants of Japanese foreign investment in the United States," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 228-246, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1991. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 3737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus Noland, 1995. "China and the International Economic System," Working Paper Series WP95-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Hal Hill & Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1998. "Foreign Investment in East Asia: A Survey," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 12(2), pages 23-50, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jill Mowbray-Tsutsumi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.