Externalities, Incentives, and Economic Reforms
AbstractThe paper emphasizes the role of institutions and incentives in the presence of externalities. An economy with multiple public decision makers is likely to experience "overspending," "undertaxing," "overborrowing," and "overinflation" unless effective institutions exist for overcoming coordination failure. External financing may weaken incentives for adjustment over the longer run unless assistance is made conditional on fundamental institutional reforms. The paper also analyses reforms that strengthen incentives to provide effort. Uncertainty regarding future taxes reduces present effort and the responsiveness of output to market signals. In addition, the paper addresses the adverse effects of bank insurance and soft budget constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3395.
Date of creation: Jun 1990
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Bulletin of Economic Research, October 1993, pp. 305-315
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Allan Drazen, 1989.
"Why are Stabilizations Delayed?,"
NBER Working Papers
3053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Alessandra Casella and Jonathan Feinstein., 1988.
"Management of a Common Currency,"
Economics Working Papers
8891, University of California at Berkeley.
- Alessandra Casella & Jonathan Feinstein, 1988. "Management of a Common Currency," NBER Working Papers 2740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Casella, Alessandra & Feinstein, Jonathan, 1988. "Management of a Common Currency," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5jv1h7nt, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joshua Aizenman & Peter Isard, 1991.
"Externalities, Incentives and Failure to Achieve National Objectives in Decentralized Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
3650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Isard, Peter, 1993. "Externalities, incentives, and failure to achieve national objectives in decentralized economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 95-114, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.