Trigger Strategies and Price Dynamics in Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets
AbstractTrigger strategist-s may be defined as act-ors in asset markets who buy or sell when the price reaches a predetermined level ; t-hey include participants in portfolio insurance schemes in equity markets and central banks who intervene to defend an exchange rate target zone. This paper presents an approach to modeling the effects of trigger strategists, with emphasis on how target zones affect market expectations. It is shown that a commitment to defend a target zone will generate stabilizing expectations within the band, which may generate a "target zone honeymoon" . an extended period in which the announcement of a target. zone stabilizes exchange rates without any need for action on the part of authorities. However, an imperfectly credible target zone is vulnerable to crises in which the market tests the authorities' resolve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2459.
Date of creation: Dec 1987
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mussa, Michael, 1979. "Empirical regularities in the behavior of exchange rates and theories of the foreign exchange market," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 9-57, January.
- Connolly, Michael B & Taylor, Dean, 1984. "The Exact Timing of the Collapse of an Exchange Rate Regime and Its Impact on the Relative Price of Traded Goods," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(2), pages 194-207, May.
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1983.
"A Model of Stochastic Process Switching,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 537-51, May.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1983. "A Model of Stochastic Process Switching," NBER Working Papers 0626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1982. "A model of stochastic process switching," International Finance Discussion Papers 201, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. D. Bekiros & D. A. Georgoutsos, 2008.
"Direction-of-change forecasting using a volatility-based recurrent neural network,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 407-417.
- Bekiros, S. & Georgoutsos, D., 2006. "Direction-of-Change Forecasting using a Volatility- Based Recurrent Neural Network," CeNDEF Working Papers 06-16, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- A. Kanas, 2003. "Non-linear cointegration between stock prices and dividends," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(7), pages 401-405.
- Kanas, Angelos, 2005. "Nonlinearity in the stock price-dividend relation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Buiter, Willem H & Pesenti, Paolo, 1990.
"Rational Speculative Bubbles in an Exchange Rate Target Zone,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
479, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter & Paolo A. Pesenti, 1990. "Rational Speculative Bubbles in an Exchange Rate Target Zone," NBER Working Papers 3467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominquez, Kathryn M. & Kenen, Peter B., 1992.
"Intramarginal intervention in the EMS and the target-zone model of exchange-rate behavior,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1523-1532, December.
- Kathryn M. Dominguez & Peter B. Kenen, 1993. "Intramarginal Intervention in the EMS and the Target-Zone Model of Exchange-Rate Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2009. "Exchange Rate Mean Reversion within a Target Zone: Evidence from a Country on the Periphery of the ERM," GEMF Working Papers 2009-15, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Kanas, Angelos & Yannopoulos, Andreas, 2001. "Comparing linear and nonlinear forecasts for stock returns," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 383-398, December.
- Barry Eichengreen & Peter M. Garber, 1991.
"Before the Accord: U.S. Monetary-Financial Policy, 1945-51,"
in: Financial Markets and Financial Crises, pages 175-206
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen and Peter M. Garber., 1990. "Before the Accord: U.S. Monetary-Financial Policy 1945-51," Economics Working Papers 90-144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gerber, Peter M., 1990. "Before the Accord: US Monetary-Financial Policy 1945-51," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt9x3540q8, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen & Peter Garber, 1990. "Before the Accord: U.S. Monetary-Financial Policy 1945-51," NBER Working Papers 3380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2008. "Exchange Rate and Interest Rate Volatility in a Target Zone: The Portuguese Case," GEMF Working Papers 2008-03, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2013.
"Exchange Rate Target Zones: A Survey Of The Literature,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 247-268, 04.
- António Portugal Duarte & João Sousa Andrade & Adelaide Duarte, 2010. "Exchange Rate Target Zones: A Survey of the Literature," GEMF Working Papers 2010-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Antoine Magnier, 1992. "Théorie des zones cibles et fonctionnement du SME," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 104(3), pages 87-113.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988. "Deindustrialization, Reindustrialization, and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 2586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian L., Nguena, 2012. "The Role of Foreign Trade in Economic Growth and Individual Heterogeneity Problem in Panel Data: The Case of African Countries," MPRA Paper 49559, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 22 Mar 2013.
- Bekiros, Stelios D., 2010. "Heterogeneous trading strategies with adaptive fuzzy Actor-Critic reinforcement learning: A behavioral approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1153-1170, June.
- Mundaca, Gabriela & Oksendal, Bernt, 1998. "Optimal stochastic intervention control with application to the exchange rate," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 225-243, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.