Managing Currency Pegs
AbstractThe combination of a fixed exchange rate and downward nominal wage rigidity creates a real rigidity. In turn, this real rigidity makes the economy prone to involuntary unemployment during external crises. This paper presents a graphical analysis of alternative policy strategies aimed at mitigating this source of inefficiency. First- and second-best monetary and fiscal solutions are analyzed. Second-best solutions are found to be prudential, whereas first-best solutions are not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 18092.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2012-05-29 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2012-05-29 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Lipinska & Bianca De Paoli, 2013. "Capital Controls: a Normative Analysis," 2013 Meeting Papers 861, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bianca De Paoli & Anna Lipinska, 2013. "Capital controls: a normative analysis," Staff Reports 600, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.