Social Choice without the Pareto Principle under Weak Independence
AbstractWe show that the class of social welfare functions that satisfy a weak independence condition identiÖed by Campbell (1976) and Baigent (1987) is fairly rich and freed of a power concentration on a single individual. This positive result prevails when a weak Pareto condition is imposed. Hence, we can overcome the impossibility of Arrow (1951) by simultaneously weakening the independence and Pareto conditions. Moreover, under weak independence, an impossibility of the Wilson (1972) type vanishes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Murat Sertel Center for Advanced Economic Studies, Istanbul Bilgi University in its series Working Papers with number 201005.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 2008. "On The Robustness of Majority Rule," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(5), pages 949-973, 09.
- Vincenzo DenicolÔ, 1998. "Independent Decisiveness and the Arrow theorem," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 563-566.
- Campbell, Donald E., 1976. "Democratic preference functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 259-272, April.
- I. Good, 1971. "A note on condorcet sets," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 97-101, March.
- Josep E. Peris & BegoÓa Subiza, 1999.
"Condorcet choice correspondences for weak tournaments,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 217-231.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1997. "Condorcet choice correspondences for weak tournaments," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Blau, Julian H, 1971. "Arrow's Theorem with Weak Independence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(152), pages 413-20, November.
- Ugur Ozdemir & M. Sanver, 2007. "Dictatorial domains in preference aggregation," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 61-76, January.
- Wilson, Robert, 1972. "Social choice theory without the Pareto Principle," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 478-486, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ali Seyhun Saral).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.