Children Capabilities and Family Characteristics in Italy
AbstractThis paper explores the possibilities of using structural equation modelling to measure capabilities of Italian children. In particular the paper focuses on two capabilities: “Senses, Imagination and Thought” and “Leisure and Play Activities ”. The indicators used to measure the capability of ‘Senses, imagination and thought’ for 6-13 years old children are attitude towards education, attendance to arts classes and other type of extra curriculum classes like computing and languages. The variables used as indicators of the capability of “Leisure and play activities” include how often children play in playground, various types of games, attendance to sports classes. We use both descriptive statistics, an ordered probit model, and a structural equation model in order to investigate the relation among the above mentioned indicators, the latent construct for capabilities and a set of covariates. Moreover we use a new data set in order to include family income among the covariates. The data result from the matching (through a propensity score method) of two data sets: Bank of Italy Survey on Income and Wealth for year 2000 and Istat Families, social subjects and childhood condition for year 1998.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics in its series Center for Economic Research (RECent) with number 022.
Length: pages 37
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Education; Capabilities; Child Well Being; Structural Equation Modelling;
Other versions of this item:
- Tindara Addabbo & Maria Laura Di Tommaso, 2008. "Children capabilities and family characteristics in Italy," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP) 0051, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-10-07 (Education)
- NEP-HAP-2008-10-07 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-HRM-2008-10-07 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck A. Taylor & Eric Dearing & Kathleen McCartney, 2004. "Incomes and Outcomes in Early Childhood," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(4).
- Maria Laura Di Tommaso, 2006. "Measuring the well being of children using a capability approach An application to Indian data," CHILD Working Papers wp05_06, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Maria L. Di Tommaso & Martin Raiser & Melvyn Weeks, 2007. "Home Grown or Imported? Initial Conditions, External Anchors and the Determinants of Institutional Reform in the Transition Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(520), pages 858-881, 04.
- Tindara Addabbo & Gisella Facchinetti, 2013. "Fuzzy logic and the capability approach," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP) 0106, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- repec:mod:cappmo:0107 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.