A State Space Approach To The Policymaker's Data Uncertainty Problem
AbstractThe paper describes the challenges that uncertainty over the true value of key macroeconomic variables poses for policymakers and the way in which they may form and update their priors in light of a range of indicators. SpeciÂ…cally, it casts the data uncertainty challenge in state space form and illustrates - in this setting - how the policymakerÂ’s data uncertainty problem is related to any constraints that an optimising statistical agency might face in resolving its own data uncertainty challenge. The paper uses this intuition to motivate a set of identifying assumptions that might be used in the practical application of the Kalman Filter to form and update priors on the basis of a variety of indicators. In doing so, it moves beyond the simple methodology for deriving "best guesses" of the true value of economic variables outlined in Ashley, Driver, Hayes, and JeÂ¤ery (2005)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Money Macro and Finance Research Group in its series Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 with number 168.
Date of creation: 02 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-04-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2007-04-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-04-09 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yates, Tony & Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios, 2003.
"Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
225, Royal Economic Society.
- Harrison, Richard & Kapetanios, George & Yates, Tony, 2005. "Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 595-607.
- Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Forecasting with Measurement Errors in Dynamic Models," Working Papers 521, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models," Bank of England working papers 237, Bank of England.
- Evans, Martin D, 2005.
"Where Are We Now? Real-Time Estimates of the Macroeconomy,"
831, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin D. D. Evans, 2005. "Where Are We Now? Real-Time Estimates of the Macroeconomy," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(2), September.
- Martin D.D. Evans, 2005. "Where Are We Now? Real-Time Estimates of the Macro Economy," NBER Working Papers 11064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin D. D. Evans(Georgetown University and NBER), 2005. "Where Are We Now? Real-time Estimates of the Macro Economy," Working Papers gueconwpa~05-05-02, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Evans, Martin D.D., 2005. "Where Are We Now? Real-Time Estimates of the Macro Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5270, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Weale, Martin, 1985. "Testing Linear Hypotheses on National Account Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 685-89, November.
- Anthony Garratt & Shaun P Vahey, 2006.
"UK Real-Time Macro Data Characteristics,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(509), pages F119-F135, 02.
- Anthony Garratt & Shaun P Vahey, 2005. "UK Real-Time Macro Data Characteristics," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0502, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Shaun Vahey & Tony Garratt, 2005. "UK Real-time Macro Data Characteristics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 253, Society for Computational Economics.
- Sharon Kozicki, 2004. "How do data revisions affect the evaluation and conduct of monetary policy?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 5-38.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2000.
"The quest for prosperity without inflation,"
Working Paper Series
0015, European Central Bank.
- Anthony Garratt & Kevin Lee & Emi Mise & Kalvinder Shields, 2006.
"Real Time Representations of the Output Gap,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0619, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Kevin Lee & Emi Mise & Kalvinder Shields & Tony Garratt, 2005. "Real time Representations of the Output Gap," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 26, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1986. "News or Noise? An Analysis of GNP Revisions," NBER Working Papers 1939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1989. "Two Models of Measurements and the Investment Accelerator," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-87, April.
- Patterson, K. D., 1994. "A state space model for reducing the uncertainty associated with preliminary vintages of data with an application to aggregate consumption," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 215-222, November.
- Howrey, E Philip, 1978. "The Use of Preliminary Data in Econometric Forecasting," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 193-200, May.
- Seth Pruitt, 2012.
"Uncertainty Over Models and Data: The Rise and Fall of American Inflation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 341-365, 03.
- Seth Pruitt, 2008. "Uncertainty over models and data: the rise and fall of American inflation," International Finance Discussion Papers 962, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Garratt, Anthony & Lee, Kevin & Mise, Emi & Shields, Kalvinder, 2009. "Real time representation of the UK output gap in the presence of model uncertainty," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 81-102.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.