Constraining Kalman Filter and Smoothing Estimates to Satisfy Time-Varying Restrictions
AbstractIt sometimes happens that the unobservable state vector of a linear dynamic model expressed in the state space is subject to known restrictions. Incorporation of this information into the Kalman filter procedure will increase the efficiency of estimation. It is shown that a simple augmentation of the measurement equation constrains the estimated state vector to obey the restrictions. The method applies whether the restrictions are time-invariant, time-varying, linear, or nonlinear. Copyright 1992 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 74 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pizzinga, Adrian, 2009. "Further investigation into restricted Kalman filtering," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 264-269, January.
- Doran, Howard E. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1997. "Applying linear time-varying constraints to econometric models: With an application to demand systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 83-95, July.
- Andrle, Michal, 2012.
"Understanding DSGE Filters in Forecasting and Policy Analysis,"
Dynare Working Papers
- Michal Andrle, 2013. "Understanding DSGE Filters in Forecasting and Policy Analysis," IMF Working Papers 13/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Ledenyov, Dimitri O. & Ledenyov, Viktor O., 2013. "On the Stratonovich – Kalman - Bucy filtering algorithm application for accurate characterization of financial time series with use of state-space model by central banks," MPRA Paper 50235, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso, Proietti & Alessandra, Luati, 2012.
"Maximum likelihood estimation of time series models: the Kalman filter and beyond,"
39600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso, 2012. "Maximum likelihood estimation of time series models: the Kalman filter and beyond," Working Papers 02 BAWP, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.