Modeling Data Revisions
AbstractA dynamic linear model for data revisions and delays is proposed. This model extends Jacobs & Van Norden's  in two ways. First, the "true" data series is observable up to a fixed period of time M. And second, preliminary figures might be biased estimates of the true series. Otherwise, the model follows Jacobs & Van Norden's  so their gains are extended through the new assumptions. These assumptions represent the data release process more realistically under particular circumstances, and improve the overall identification of the model. An application to the year to year growth of the Colombian quarterly GDP reveals that preliminary growth reports under-estimate the true growth, and that measurement errors are predictable from the information available at the data release. The models implemented in this note help this purpose.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 641.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Data Revisions; Now-casting; Real Time Economic Analysis. Classification JEL: C22; C53; C82.;
Other versions of this item:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trivellato, Ugo & Rettore, Enrico, 1986. "Preliminary Data Errors and Their Impact on the Forecast Error of Simultaneous-Equations Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(4), pages 445-53, October.
- Anthony Garratt & Shaun P Vahey, 2005.
"UK Real-Time Macro Data Characteristics,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0502, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Aruoba, Boragan, 2005.
"Data Revisions Are Not Well-Behaved,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5271, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & van Norden, Simon, 2011. "Modeling data revisions: Measurement error and dynamics of "true" values," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 101-109, April.
- Bordignon, Silvano & Trivellato, Ugo, 1989. "The Optimal Use of Provisional Data in Forecasting with Dynamic Model s," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 275-86, April.
- Busetti, Fabio, 2004.
"Preliminary Data and Econometric Forecasting: An Application with the Bank of Italy Quarterly Model,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabio Busetti, 2006. "Preliminary data and econometric forecasting: an application with the Bank of Italy Quarterly Model," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 1-23.
- Yates, Tony & Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios, 2003.
"Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
225, Royal Economic Society.
- Harrison, Richard & Kapetanios, George & Yates, Tony, 2005. "Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 595-607.
- Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Forecasting with Measurement Errors in Dynamic Models," Working Papers 521, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Richard Harrison & George Kapetanios & Tony Yates, 2004. "Forecasting with measurement errors in dynamic models," Bank of England working papers 237, Bank of England.
- Pierre Siklos, 2006. "What Can We Learn from Comprehensive Data Revisions for Forecasting Inflation: Some US Evidence," Working Papers eg0049, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2006.
- Juan Manuel Julio, 2011.
"Data Revisions and the Output Gap,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007956, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Julio Roman, Juan Manuel, 2011. "The Hodrick-Prescott filter with priors: linear restrictions on HP filters," MPRA Paper 34202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deicy J. Cristiano & Manuel D. Hernández & José David Pulido, 2012.
"Pronósticos de corto plazo en tiempo real para la actividad económica colombiana,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009827, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Deicy J. Cristiano & Manuel D. Hernández & José David Pulido, 2012. "Pronósticos de corto plazo en tiempo real para la actividad económica colombiana," Borradores de Economia 724, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.