The selection of functionings and capabilities : A survey of empirical studies
AbstractThis note aims to identify the criteria followed by empirical studies in the selection of relevant functionings and/or capabilities, and the indicators used for their measurement. We survey twenty quantitative empirical applications of the CA in welfare economics. Our survey shows that the criteria used by these studies fall within the range of: a) normative views b) quantitative methods, and c) surveys. These three categories overlap and are restricted by data availability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by PEP-PMMA in its series Working Papers PMMA with number 2013-09.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Capability approach; Welfare economics; Functionings/Capabilities; Indicators;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.