Labor Markets and Labor Market Institutions in Transition Economies
AbstractThis paper summarizes the evolution of labor markets and labor market institutions and policies in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe as well as of Central Asia over the last two decades. The main focus is on the evolution of labor market institutions, which are among candidate explanations for the very diverse trajectories of labor markets in the region. We consider recent contributions that attempt to assess the effect of labor market institutions on labor market performance of TEs, including the policy-relevant issue of complementarity of institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5905.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Paul Hare and Gerard Turley (eds.): The Handbook of the Economics and Political Economy of Transition, Routledge, 2013, pp. 350-362
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev, 2011. "Labor markets and labor market institutions in transition economies," Working Papers wp783, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2011-08-22 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2011-08-22 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2011-08-22 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-LTV-2011-08-22 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-TRA-2011-08-22 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gimpelson, Vladimir & Kapeliushnikov, Rostislav & Lukiyanova, Anna, 2009.
"Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labour Market Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Rostislav Kapelyushnikov & Anna Lukyanova, 2010. "Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labor Market Outcomes," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(4), pages 611-636, December.
- V. Gimpelson & R. Kapeliushnikov & A. Lukiyanova, 2009. "Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labour Market Outcomes," ESCIRRU Working Papers 11, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2010. "Evolution of Employment Protection Legislation in the USSR, CIS and Baltic States, 1985-2009," IZA Discussion Papers 5365, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- A Aquisti & H Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth, 1998.
"Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0403, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti, Alessandro, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 595-617, December.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Acquisti, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," CERT Discussion Papers 9907, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti,Alessandro, 1998. "Grime And Punishment: Job Insecurity And Wage Arrears in The Russian Federation," Economics Technical Papers 986, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth & Alessandro Asquisti, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Job Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," LICOS Discussion Papers 7999, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Sandrine Cazes & Alena Nesporova, 2004. "Labour markets in transition: balancing flexibility and security in Central and Eastern Europe," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 91(5), pages 23-54.
- Kamila FialovÃ¡ & OndÅej Schneider, 2009.
"Labor Market Institutions and Their Effect on Labor Market Performance in the New EU Member Countries,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(3), pages 57-83, May.
- Kamila Fialová & Ondrej Schneider, 2008. "Labour Market Institutions and their Effect on Labour Market Performance in the New EU Member Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 2421, CESifo Group Munich.
- Micklewright, John & Nagy, Gyula, 2010.
"The effect of monitoring unemployment insurance recipients on unemployment duration: Evidence from a field experiment,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 180-187, January.
- John Micklewright & Gyula Nagy, 2009. "The effect of monitoring unemployment insurance recipients on unemployment duration: evidence from a field experiment," DoQSS Working Papers 09-02, Department of Quantitative Social Science - Institute of Education, University of London.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2009.
"Unemployment, institutions, and reform complementarities: re-assessing the aggregate evidence for OECD countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 40-59, Spring.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2009. "Unemployment, institutions and reform complementarities: Re-assessing the aggregate evidence for OECD countries," Post-Print halshs-00395144, HAL.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore (ed.), 2010. "The Labour Market Impact of the EU Enlargement. A New Regional Geography of Europe?," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 04, December.
- John S. Earle & Klara Sabirianova Peter, .
"How Late to Pay? Understanding Wage Arrears in Russia,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
jse20023, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- John S. Earle & Klara Z. Sabirianova, 2002. "How Late to Pay? Understanding Wage Arrears in Russia," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(3), pages 661-707, July.
- John S. Earle & Klara Z. Sabirianova, 2002. "How Late to Pay? Understanding Wage Arrears in Russia," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 02-77, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev, 2010. "Labor market institutions and labor market performance: what can we learn from transition countries?," Working Papers 714, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- H. Lehmann & J. Kluve, 2008. "Assessing Active Labor Market Policies in Transition Economies," Working Papers 646, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Jan J. Rutkowski & Stefano Scarpetta, 2005. "Enhancing Job Opportunities : Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7408.
- Sjef Ederveen & Laura Thissen, 2007. "Can labour market institutions explain high unemployment rates in the new EU member states?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 299-317, September.
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2011. "Labour market adjustments in Estonia during the global crisis," Sciences Po publications 2011-25, Sciences Po.
- World Bank, 2012. "In Search of Opportunities : How a More Mobile Workforce Can Propel Ukraine’s Prosperity (Vol. 2 of 2) : Technical Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12287, The World Bank.
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2011. "labour markets adjustments in Estonia during the global crisis," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-25, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.