Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labor Market Outcomes
AbstractThe efficiency of the labor market critically depends on the design of its institutions, including employment protection legislation. However, since formal laws can be observed to varying degrees, the actual enforcement regime shapes incentives and constraints. Most of the studies exploring the effects of employment protection on labor market performance implicitly assume that compliance is near to complete. However, if enforcement varies widely across regions/cities or segments of firms, then this variation may cause variation in performance. This paper, looking at Russia, explores whether cross-regional and inter-temporal variation in enforcement of employment protection laws is significant and is translated into regional labor market outcomes. The paper utilizes a unique data set based on State Labor Inspectorate data and Supreme Court statistics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 52 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- V. Gimpelson & R. Kapeliushnikov & A. Lukiyanova, 2009. "Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labour Market Outcomes," ESCIRRU Working Papers 11, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gimpelson, Vladimir & Kapeliushnikov, Rostislav & Lukiyanova, Anna, 2009. "Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labour Market Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 4484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J52 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Dispute Resolution: Strikes, Arbitration, and Mediation
- K31 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Labor Law
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Libman, Alexander, 2013. "Natural resources and sub-national economic performance: Does sub-national democracy matter?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 82-99.
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev, 2011.
"Labor markets and labor market institutions in transition economies,"
wp783, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011. "Labor Markets and Labor Market Institutions in Transition Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 5905, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Muravyev, Alexander & Razzolini, Tiziano & Zaiceva, Anzelika, 2010. "The Costs of Job Loss in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 5415, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hartmut Lehmann & Alexander Muravyev & Tiziano Razzolini & Anzelika Zaiceva, 2011.
"The Wage and Non-wage Costs of Displacement: Evidence from Russia,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
060, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev & T. Razzolini & A. Zaiceva, 2011. "The Wage and Non-wage Costs of Displacement: Evidence from Russia," Working Papers wp734, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2012.
"Does more unemployment cause more fear of unemployment?,"
IZA Journal of Labor & Development,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-26, December.
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2012. "Does More Unemployment Cause More Fear of Unemployment?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 13/EC/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2010. "Evolution of Employment Protection Legislation in the USSR, CIS and Baltic States, 1985-2009," IZA Discussion Papers 5365, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.