Evolution of Employment Protection Legislation in the USSR, CIS and Baltic States, 1985-2009
AbstractThis paper presents and discusses new data on employment protection legislation (EPL) in the successor states of the former USSR – the CIS and Baltic states – over 25 years from 1985 to 2009. We use the OECD methodology (OECD EPL, version II) for assessing the strictness of national labor laws with respect to employers’ firing costs. In addition to the overall OECD EPL index, we present detailed statistics for 18(22) sub-indicators used for its computation. The new data allow us to make several important observations. In particular, the data do not support the widely held view that labor regulations in the former USSR with respect to firing costs were extremely rigid and were subsequently liberalized by the 15 successor states over the course of transition to a market economy. Rather, the dynamics of the EPL index in the region resembles an inverted U-shaped pattern with the peak of labor market rigidity occurring in the mid-1990s in the CIS countries and a decade later in the Baltic States. In terms of major sub-indicators, we observe a rather unusual pattern: gradual liberalization of permanent contracts on the background of increasing regulation of temporary contracts and collective dismissals. This is in sharp contrast with the OECD economies, where liberalization of temporary contracts has been the major trend in the recent decades. By now, the ex-USSR states as a group do not differ that much from the EU-15 and OECD countries in terms of the overall EPL index, although they differ considerably in terms of contributions to the overall EPL of its thee major components, namely, regulation of permanent contracts, temporary contracts, and collective dismissals. We also show that our EPL data are correlated with a number of variables characterizing economic development, progress in market-oriented reforms, and political regimes prevailing in the countries studied, which suggests potential of using the new dataset in further politico-economic research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5365.
Length: 59 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
- K31 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Labor Law
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2010-12-23 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-LAB-2010-12-23 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-REG-2010-12-23 (Regulation)
- NEP-TRA-2010-12-23 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan Van Ours, 2007.
"Welfare-Improving Employment Protection,"
Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science,
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(295), pages 381-396, 08.
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan van Ours, 2004. "Welfare Improving Employment Protection," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_004, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Belot, M.V.K. & Boone, J. & Ours, J.C. van, 2007. "Welfare improving employment protection," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194309, Tilburg University.
- James J. Heckman & Carmen Pagés, 2004.
"Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number heck04-1, October.
- James Heckman & Carmen Pages, 2003. "Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean," NBER Working Papers 10129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maja Micevska, 2004. "Unemployment and Labour Market Rigidities in Southeast Europe," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw 49, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Djankov, Simeon & Ramalho, Rita, 2009.
"Employment laws in developing countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-13, March.
- Djankov, Simeon & Ramalho, Rita, 2008. "Employment Laws in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 7097, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Feil, Michael & Braun, Christoph, 2008.
"What Have We Learned? Assessing Labor Market Institutions and Indicators,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3470, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eichhorst, Werner & Feil, Michael & Braun, Christoph, 2008. "What have we learned? Assessing labor market institutions and indicators," IAB Discussion Paper 200822, Institut fÃ¼r Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), NÃ¼rnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Ricardo Lagos, 2006.
"A model of TFP,"
Staff Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
345, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lagos, R., 2001. "A Model of TFP," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 01-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gregory, Paul R & Collier, Irwin L, Jr, 1988. "Unemployment in the Soviet Union: Evidence from the Soviet Interview Project," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 613-32, September.
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino, 2001.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
381, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Smirnykh, Larisa, 2005. "Labor leasing: economic theory, EU and Russia experience," MPRA Paper 21568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aziz Atamanov & Alexander Chubrik & Irina Denisova & Vladimir Dubrovskiy & Marina Kartseva & Irina Lukashova & Irina Makenbaeva & Magdalena Rokicka & Irina Sinitsina & Michael Tokmazishvili, 2008. "The Development Gap Between the CIS and EU," CASE Network Reports 0081, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Pradeep Mitra & Alexander Muravyev & Mark E. Schaffer, 2008.
"Convergence in institutions and market outcomes: Cross-country and time-series evidence from the BEEPS surveys in transition economies,"
CERT Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University
0809, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Pradeep Mitra & Alexander Muravyev & Mark E. Schaffer, 2008. "Convergence in Institutions and Market Outcomes: Cross-Country and Time-Series Evidence from the BEEPS Surveys in Transition Economies," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 847, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Mitra, Pradeep & Muravyev, Alexander & Schaffer, Mark E, 2008. "Convergence in Institutions and Market Outcomes: Cross-Country and Time-Series Evidence from the BEEPS Surveys in Transition Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 3863, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Rostislav Kapelyushnikov & Anna Lukyanova, 2010.
"Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labor Market Outcomes,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(4), pages 611-636, December.
- Gimpelson, Vladimir & Kapeliushnikov, Rostislav & Lukiyanova, Anna, 2009. "Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labour Market Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 4484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- V. Gimpelson & R. Kapeliushnikov & A. Lukiyanova, 2009. "Employment Protection Legislation in Russia: Regional Enforcement and Labour Market Outcomes," ESCIRRU Working Papers 11, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo & Rogerson, Richard, 1993. "Job Turnover and Policy Evaluation: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 915-38, October.
- Giuseppe BERTOLA & Tito BOERI & Sandrine CAZES, 2000. "Employment protection in industrialized countries: The case for new indicators," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, International Labour Organization, vol. 139(1), pages 57-72, 03.
- Eamets, Raul & Masso, Jaan, 2004. "Labour Market Flexibility and Employment Protection Regulation in the Baltic States," IZA Discussion Papers 1147, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Beck, T.H.L. & Clarke, G. & Groff, A. & Keefer , P. & Walsh, P., 2001. "New tools in comparative political economy: The database of political institutions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125517, Tilburg University.
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nauro Campos & Jeffrey Nugent, 2012.
"The Dynamics of the Regulation of Labor in Developing and Developed Countries since 1960,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1037, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Campos, Nauro F & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2012. "The Dynamics of the Regulation of Labor in Developing and Developed Countries since 1960," IZA Discussion Papers 6881, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hazans, Mihails, 2011.
"What explains prevalence of informal employment in European countries : the role of labor institutions, governance, immigrants, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5917, The World Bank.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2011. "What Explains Prevalence of Informal Employment in European Countries: The Role of Labor Institutions, Governance, Immigrants, and Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 5872, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hartmut Lehmann & Alexander Muravyev & Tiziano Razzolini & Anzelika Zaiceva, 2011.
"The Wage and Non-wage Costs of Displacement: Evidence from Russia,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent), University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics
060, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev & T. Razzolini & A. Zaiceva, 2011. "The Wage and Non-wage Costs of Displacement: Evidence from Russia," Working Papers wp734, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2011.
"Informal workers across Europe : evidence from 30 European countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5912, The World Bank.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2011. "Informal Workers across Europe: Evidence from 30 Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 5871, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2012.
"Does more unemployment cause more fear of unemployment?,"
IZA Journal of Labor & Development, Springer,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-26, December.
- Vladimir Gimpelson & Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2012. "Does More Unemployment Cause More Fear of Unemployment?," HSE Working papers, National Research University Higher School of Economics WP BRP 13/EC/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011.
"Labor Markets and Labor Market Institutions in Transition Economies,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5905, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev, 2011. "Labor markets and labor market institutions in transition economies," Working Papers wp783, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Muravyev, Alexander & Razzolini, Tiziano & Zaiceva, Anzelika, 2010. "The Costs of Job Loss in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 5415, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel Arnold, 2012. "Benefit Morale and Cross-Country Diversity in Sick Pay Entitlements," IAAEU Discussion Papers, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU) 201211, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.