Estimation of Multi-Output Production Functions with Incomplete Data: A Generalized Maximum Entropy Approach
AbstractOne problem commonly encountered when analysing multiproduct-multifactor firms is the lack of activity-specific input data. The present study contributes to the empirical literature on production functions by presenting an information theoretic approach to estimating production functions in the absence of activity-specific input allocations. The procedure relies solely on production data, so that behavioural hypotheses (e.g., profit maximisation) are not required and estimation can proceed in the absence of price data. In addition, the method can be applied to ill-posed problems. The proposed procedure is demonstrated with simulated production data and exhibits favourable statistical properties. Copyright 1998 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 1219.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in European Review of Agricultural Economics 1998, vol. 25, pp. 188-209
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lence, Sergio H & Miller, Douglas J, 1998. "Estimation of Multi-output Production Functions with Incomplete Data: A Generalised Maximum Entropy Approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 188-209.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven Sexton & David Zilberman, 2011. "How Agricultural Biotechnology Boosts Food Supply and Accomodates Biofuels," NBER Working Papers 16699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Msangi, Siwa & Howitt, Richard E., 2006. "Estimating Disaggregate Production Functions: An Application to Northern Mexico," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21080, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arfini, Filippo & Donati, Michele & Grossi, L. & Paris, Quirino, 2008. "Revenue and Cost Functions in PMP: a Methodological Integration for a Territorial Analysis of CAP," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6636, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- You, Liangzhi & Wood, Stanley & Wood-Sichra, Ulrike, 2004. "Generating Plausible Crop Distribution Maps For Sub-Sahara Africa Using Spatial Allocation Model," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19965, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Groeneveld, Rolf & van Ierland, E. C. & Hejiman, W. J. M., 1999. "A comparison of approaches to spatially explicit modelling of land use/cover change," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa431, European Regional Science Association.
- Steven Sexton & David Zilberman, 2011. "Land for Food and Fuel Production: The Role of Agricultural Biotechnology," NBER Chapters, in: The Intended and Unintended Effects of U.S. Agricultural and Biotechnology Policies, pages 269-288 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arfini, Filippo & Donati, Michele & Marongiu, Sonia & Cesaro, Luca, 2012. "Farm production costs estimation trough PMP Models: an application in three Italian Regions," Congress Papers 124117, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Howitt, Richard E. & Msangi, Siwa, 2002. "Reconstructing Disaggregate Production Functions," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19585, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- You, Liangzhi & Wood, Stanley & Wood-Sichra, Ulrike, 2009. "Generating plausible crop distribution maps for Sub-Saharan Africa using a spatially disaggregated data fusion and optimization approach," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 99(2-3), pages 126-140, February.
- Kamel Louhichi & Florence Jacquet & Jean-Pierre Butault, 2012. "Estimating input allocation from heterogeneous data sources: a comparison of alternative estimation approaches," Working Papers 169237, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Anderson, Weston & You, Liangzhi & Wood, Stanley & Wood-Sichra, Ulrike & Wu, Wenbin, 2014. "A comparative analysis of global cropping systems models and maps:," IFPRI discussion papers 1327, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Arfini, Filippo & Donati, Michele & Paris, Quirino, 2008. "Innovation in Estimation of Revenue and Cost Functions in PMP Using FADN Information at Regional Level," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44008, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mueller, Marc, 2004. "Where Has All The Water Gone? Estimation Of A Production Function For The Agricultural Sector In The Region Khorezm, Uzbekistan," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20106, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gocht, Alexander, 2008. "Estimating input allocation for farm supply models," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6469, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carpentier, Alain & Letort, Elodie, 2011.
"Endogeneity of Acreage Choices in Input Allocation Equation: Implied Problems and a Solution,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114386, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Letort, Elodie & Carpentier, Alain, 2009. "Endogeneity of acreage choices in input allocation equations: implied problems and a solution," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49217, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Letort, Elodie & Carpentier, Alain, 2010. "Variable Input Allocation: Why Heterogeneity Matters?," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109387, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.