A Nonparametric Test for Seasonal Unit Roots
AbstractWe consider a nonparametric test for the null of seasonal unit roots in quarterly time series that builds on the RUR (records unit root) test by Aparicio, Escribano, and Sipols. We find that the test concept is more promising than a formalization of visual aids such as plots by quarter. In order to cope with the sensitivity of the original RUR test to autocorrelation under its null of a unit root, we suggest an augmentation step by autoregression. We present some evidence on the size and power of our procedure and we illustrate it by applications to a commodity price and to an unemployment rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series Economics Series with number 233.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-02-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-02-14 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. "Periodicity and Stochastic Trends in Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774549, October.
- Canova, Fabio & Hansen, Bruce E, 1995. "Are Seasonal Patterns Constant over Time? A Test for Seasonal Stability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 237-52, July.
- Caner, Mehmet, 1998. "A Locally Optimal Seaosnal Unit-Root Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 349-56, July.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521562607.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kunst, Robert M., 1995.
"On the role of seasonal intercepts in seasonal cointegration,"
15, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kunst, Robert M, 1999. " On the Role of Seasonal Intercepts in Seasonal Cointegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 409-33, August.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Kunst, R.M., 1998. "On the role of seasonal intercepts in seasonal cointegration," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9820, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Joseph Beaulieu, J. & Miron, Jeffrey A., 1993.
"Seasonal unit roots in aggregate U.S. data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 305-328.
- Felipe Aparicio & Alvaro Escribano & Ana E. Sipols, 2006. "Range Unit-Root (RUR) Tests: Robust against Nonlinearities, Error Distributions, Structural Breaks and Outliers," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 545-576, 07.
- Burridge, Peter & Guerre, Emmanuel, 1996. "The Limit Distribution of level Crossings of a Random Walk, and a Simple Unit Root Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 705-723, October.
- Chi-Young Choi & Young-Kyu Moh, 2007. "How useful are tests for unit-root in distinguishing unit-root processes from stationary but non-linear processes?," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 82-112, 03.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, October.
- So, Beong Soo & Shin, Dong Wan, 2001. "An invariant sign test for random walks based on recursive median adjustment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 197-229, June.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1994. "A multivariate approach to modeling univariate seasonal time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 133-151, July.
- Kunst, Robert M., 2014. "A Combined Nonparametric Test for Seasonal Unit Roots," Economics Series 303, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Kunst, R.M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2009.
"Testing for seasonal unit roots in monthly panels of time series,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2009-05, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Robert M. Kunst & Philip Hans Franses, 2011. "Testing for Seasonal Unit Roots in Monthly Panels of Time Series," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(4), pages 469-488, 08.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro & Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "An analysis of the trade balance for OECD countries using periodic integration and cointegration," Working Papers 1320, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.