Regression-Based Seasonal Unit Root Tests
AbstractThe contribution of this paper is three-fold. Firslty, a characterisation of the sub-hypotheses comprising the seasonal unit root hypothesis is presented which provides a precise formulation of the alternative hypotheses against which regression-based seasonal unit root tests test. Secondly, it proposes regrssion-based tests for the seasonal unit root hypothesis which allow a general seasonal aspect for the data and are similar both exactly and asymptotically with respect to initial values and seasonal drift parameters. Thirdly, simulation evidence is given on the size and power properties of the statistics presented in this paper which has important implications for how tests of the seasonal unit root hypothesis should be conducted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- Smith, R.J. & Taylor, A.M.R., 1999. "Regression-Based Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Discussion Papers 99-15, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Richard J. Smith & A. M. Robert Taylor & Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007. "Regression-based seasonal unit root tests," Discussion Papers 07/05, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1994. "A multivariate approach to modeling univariate seasonal time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 133-151, July.
- Robert Taylor & Peter Burridge, 2004.
"Bootstrapping the HEGY Seasonal Unit Root Tests,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
125, Econometric Society.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A M Robert, 2001. "On the Properties of Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Higher-Order Serial Correlation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 374-79, July.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Ghysels, Eric & Lee, Hahn S. & Noh, Jaesum, 1994. "Testing for unit roots in seasonal time series : Some theoretical extensions and a Monte Carlo investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 415-442, June.
- Canova, Fabio & Hansen, Bruce E, 1995. "Are Seasonal Patterns Constant over Time? A Test for Seasonal Stability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 237-52, July.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521565882.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007.
"Using the HEGY Procedure When Not All Roots Are Present,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 910-922, November.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007. "Using the HEGY Procedure When Not All Roots Are Present," Working Papers in Economics 170, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Uwe Hassler & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2004.
"Seasonal Unit Root Tests Under Structural Breaks,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 33-53, 01.
- Robert Taylor, 2005. "On the limiting behaviour of augmented seasonal unit root tests," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(3), pages 1-10.
- Luis C. Nunes & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2011.
"On LM‐type tests for seasonal unit roots in the presence of a break in trend,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 108-134, 03.
- Luís Catela Nunes & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2009. "On LM-Type Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of a Break in Trend," Working Papers w200920, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000.
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, . "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," Economics Working Papers 2000-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Burridge, Peter & Robert Taylor, A. M., 2004.
"Bootstrapping the HEGY seasonal unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 67-87, November.
- Robert Taylor & Peter Burridge, 2004. "Bootstrapping the HEGY Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 125, Econometric Society.
- Olivier Darné & Claude Diebolt, 2002. "A Note on Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 305-310, August.
- Marcus J. Chambers & Joanne S. Ercolani & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2010.
"Testing for seasonal unit roots by frequency domain regression,"
10/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Chambers, Marcus J. & Ercolani, Joanne S. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2014. "Testing for seasonal unit roots by frequency domain regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P2), pages 243-258.
- Denise Osborn & Paulo Rodrigues, 2002. "Asymptotic Distributions Of Seasonal Unit Root Tests: A Unifying Approach," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 221-241.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.