Range Unit-Root (RUR) Tests: Robust against Nonlinearities, Error Distributions, Structural Breaks and Outliers
AbstractSince the seminal paper by Dickey and Fuller in 1979, unit-root tests have conditioned the standard approaches to analysing time series with strong serial dependence in mean behaviour, the focus being placed on the detection of eventual unit roots in an autoregressive model fitted to the series. In this paper, we propose a completely different method to test for the type of long-wave patterns observed not only in unit-root time series but also in series following more complex data-generating mechanisms. To this end, our testing device analyses the unit-root persistence exhibited by the data while imposing very few constraints on the generating mechanism. We call our device the range unit-root (RUR) test since it is constructed from the running ranges of the series from which we derive its limit distribution. These nonparametric statistics endow the test with a number of desirable properties, the invariance to monotonic transformations of the series and the robustness to the presence of important parameter shifts. Moreover, the RUR test outperforms the power of standard unit-root tests on near-unit-root stationary time series; it is invariant with respect to the innovations distribution and asymptotically immune to noise. An extension of the RUR test, called the forward-backward range unit-root (FB-RUR) improves the check in the presence of additive outliers. Finally, we illustrate the performances of both range tests and their discrepancies with the Dickey-Fuller unit-root test on exchange rate series. Copyright 2006 The Authors Journal compilation 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
Other versions of this item:
- Escribano, Álvaro & Sipols, Ana E. & Aparicio, Felipe M., 2006. "Range Unit Root (RUR) Tests: Robust against Nonlinearities, Error Distributions, Structural Breaks and Outliers," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/2582, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2009.
"On the dynamics of inflation persistence around the world,"
2009-02, Banco de México.
- Antonio Noriega & Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2013. "On the dynamics of inflation persistence around the world," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1243-1265, June.
- Francesco D'Amuri & Juri Marcucci, 2012. "The predictive power of Google searches in forecasting unemployment," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 891, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bruno Larue & Jean-Philippe Gervais & Yannick Rancourt, 2010. "Exchange rate pass-through, menu costs and threshold cointegration," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 171-192, February.
- Alexeev, Vitali & Maynard, Alex, 2012.
"Localized level crossing random walk test robust to the presence of structural breaks,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3322-3344.
- Vitali Alexeev & Alex Maynard, 2010. "Localized Level Crossing Random Walk Test Robust to the Presence of Structural Breaks," Working Papers 1001, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Helmut Herwartz & Florian Siedenburg, 2010. "A New Approach to Unit Root Testing," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(4), pages 365-384, December.
- Ihle, Rico & Brummer, Bernhard & Thompson, Stanley R., 2010. "Auswirkungen Der Fischler-Reform Und Der Blauzungenkrankheit Auf Die Europäischen Kälbermärkte," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93953, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Jurgen Holl & Robert Kunst, 2011.
"Unit root in unemployment - new evidence from nonparametric tests,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 509-512.
- Jürgen Holl & Robert M. Kunst, 2009. "Unit Root in Unemployment - New Evidence from Nonparametric Tests," Vienna Economics Papers 0915, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Lindback, Morten & Osmundsen, Petter & Øglend, Atle, 2013. "Shale Gas and the Relationship between U.S. Natural Gas, Liquified Petroleum Gases and Oil Market," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2013/5, University of Stavanger.
- Dilip M. Nachane, 2011. "Selected Problems in the Analysis of Nonstationary & Nonlinear Time Series," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 9(1), pages 1-17.
- Herwartz, Helmut & Siedenburg, Florian, 2009. "A new approach to unit root testing," Economics Working Papers 2009,06, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Escribano, Álvaro & Santos, T. & Sipols, Ana E., 2008.
"Testing for cointegration using induced-order statistics,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/2585, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Alvaro Escribano & M. Santos & Ana Sipols, 2008. "Testing for cointegration using induced-order statistics," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 131-151, January.
- Ihle, Rico & Brümmer, Bernhard & Thompson, Stanley R., 2009. "Spatial market integration in the EU beef and veal sector: policy decoupling and export bans," DARE Discussion Papers 0913, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Kunst, Robert M., 2009. "A Nonparametric Test for Seasonal Unit Roots," Economics Series 233, Institute for Advanced Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.