Does International Outsourcing Depress Union Wages?
AbstractIn this paper, we provide first empirical evidence on the effect of outsourcing on union wages using linked employer-employee data for Germany. We find that low skilled workers experience a decline in the union wage premium when working in industries with high outsourcing intensities. The finding applies to both firm- and sector-level agreements. Hence, outsourcing appears to deteriorate the bargaining position of unions. Outsourcing is not found to have a negative effect on the wages of low skilled employees not covered by collective bargaining agreements. While wages of medium skilled workers are largely unaffected by outsourcing, high skilled workers see their wages rise in industries with a high level of outsourcing. There is no interaction between coverage and outsourcing for these skill groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2007-033.
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Collective Bargaining; International Outsourcing; Union Wages;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-06-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-06-02 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arndt, Sven W., 1997. "Globalization and the open economy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-79.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2010. "Equilibrium unemployment with outsourcing and wage solidarity under labour market imperfections," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 376-392, April.
- Erkki Koskela, 2009. "Impacts of Labor Taxation with Perfectly and Imperfectly Competitive Domestic Labor Markets under Flexible Outsourcing," CESifo Working Paper Series 2852, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ranjan, Priya, 2013.
"Offshoring, unemployment, and wages: The role of labor market institutions,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 172-186.
- Priya Ranjan, 2012. "Offshoring, Unemployment, and Wages: The Role of Labor Market Institutions," Working Papers 121302, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- O'Farrell, Rory, 2012. "The effect of international firm mobility on wages and unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 931-943.
- Erkki Koskela & Jan König, 2009. "The Role of Profit Sharing in a Dual Labour Market with Flexible Outsourcing," CESifo Working Paper Series 2533, CESifo Group Munich.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Klaus Gugler & Lars Sørgard, 2012. " Cross-Border Mergers and Domestic Wages: Integrating Positive 'Spillover' Effects and Negative 'Bargaining' Effects," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp136, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Koskela, Erkki, 2009. "Impacts of Labor Taxation with Perfectly and Imperfectly Competitive Domestic Labor Markets under Flexible Outsourcing," IZA Discussion Papers 4544, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chongvilaivan, Aekapol & Hur, Jung & Riyanto, Yohanes E., 2013. "Labor union bargaining and firm organizational structure," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 116-124.
- Koskela, Erkki & Poutvaara, Panu, 2008.
"Flexible Outsourcing and the Impacts of Labour Taxation in European Welfare States,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3699, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erkki Koskela & Panu Poutvaara, 2008. "Flexible Outsourcing and the Impacts of Labour Taxation in European Welfare States," CESifo Working Paper Series 2440, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.