Time-varying (S,s) band models: properties and interpretation
AbstractA recent strand of empirical work uses (S,s) models with time-varying stochastic bands to describe infrequent adjustments of prices and other variables. The present paper examines some properties of this model, which encompasses most micro-founded adjustment rules rationalizing infrequent changes. We illustrate that this model is flexible enough to fit data characterized by infrequent adjustment and variable adjustment size. We show that, to the extent that there is variability in the size of adjustments (e.g. if both small and large price changes are observed), i) a large band parameter is needed to fit the data and ii) the average band of inaction underlying the model may differ strikingly from the typical observed size of adjustment. The paper thus provides a rationalization for a recurrent empirical result: very large estimated values for the parameters measuring the band of inaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00526295.
Date of creation: 14 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00526295/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Other versions of this item:
- Gautier, Erwan & Le Bihan, Hervé, 2011. "Time-varying (S, s) band models: Properties and interpretation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 394-412, March.
- Gautier, E. & Le Bihan, H., 2009. "Time-varying (S, s) band models: empirical properties and interpretation," Working papers 231, Banque de France.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dhyne, Emmanuel & Fuss, Catherine & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Sevestre, Patrick, 2011.
"Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 529-540.
- Dhyne, E. & Fuss, C. & Pesaran, H. & Sevestre, P., 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments, A Microeconometric Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0719, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Dhyne, E. & Fuss, C. & Pesaran, H. & Sevestre, P., 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis," Working papers 185, Banque de France.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Catherine Fuss & M. Hashem Pesaran & Patrick Sevestre, 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2010, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dhyne, Emmanuel & Fuss, Catherine & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Sevestre, Patrick, 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 2793, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Catherine Fuss & Hashem Pesaran & Patrick Sevestre, 2006. "Lumpy price adjustments : a microeconometric analysis," Working Paper Research 100, National Bank of Belgium.
- Bo E. Honoré & Daniel Kaufmann & Sarah Marit Lein, 2012.
"Asymmetries in Price-Setting Behavior: New Microeconometric Evidence from Switzerland,"
2012-09, Swiss National Bank.
- Bo E. Honoré & Daniel Kaufmann & Sarah Lein, 2012. "Asymmetries in Price‐Setting Behavior: New Microeconometric Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 211-236, December.
- Erwan Gautier & Ronan Le Saout, 2012.
"The Dynamics of Gasoline Prices: Evidence from Daily French Micro Data,"
- Gautier, E. & Le Saout, R., 2012. "The Dynamics of Gasoline Prices: Evidence from Daily French Micro Data," Working papers 375, Banque de France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.