Price setting in Hungary-a store-level analysis
AbstractThis paper uses Hungarian micro-CPI data between December 2001 and June 2007 to provide descriptive statistics of store-level pricing practices in Hungary. First we present simple descriptive statistics about the frequency and average size of price changes, and compare it with similar statistics from other countries. Then we decompose the observed variations in the inflation rate to variations in frequencies and sizes. Finally, we estimate the inflation effects of three general VAT-rate changes during our sample period. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2-3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Mikhail Golosov & Robert E. Lucas Jr., 2007.
"Menu Costs and Phillips Curves,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 171-199.
- Etienne Gagnon, 2009.
"Price Setting During Low and High Inflation: Evidence from Mexico,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1221-1263, August.
- Etienne Gagnon, 2006. "Price Setting during Low and High Inflation: Evidence from Mexico," 2006 Meeting Papers 300, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Etienne Gagnon, 2007. "Price setting during low and high inflation: evidence from Mexico," International Finance Discussion Papers 896, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Attila Rátfai, 2007. "The frequency and size of price adjustment: microeconomic evidence," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 751-762.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2008.
"State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 123(3), pages 863-904, August.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2007. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," Discussion Papers 07-007, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Oleksiy Kryvtsov & Peter J. Klenow, 2004. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter For Recent U.S. Inflation?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 277, Society for Computational Economics.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2005. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does it Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 11043, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2005. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," Working Papers 05-4, Bank of Canada.
- Baudry, L. & Le Bihan, H. & Sevestre, P. & Tarrieu, S., 2004.
"Price Rigidity. Evidence from the French CPI Macro-Data,"
113, Banque de France.
- Baudry, Laurent & Le Bihan, Hervé & Sevestre, Patrick & Tarrieu, Sylvie, 2004. "Price rigidity. Evidence from the French CPI micro-data," Working Paper Series 0384, European Central Bank.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2002.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Luis J. Alvarez & Herve Le Bihan & Giovanni Veronese & Daniel Dias & Johannes Hoffmann & Nicole Jonker & Patrick Lunnemann & Fabio Rumler & Jouko Vilmunen, 2006. "Price Changes in the Euro Area and the United States: Some Facts from Individual Consumer Price Data," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 171-192, Spring.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz-Kim, Jeong-Ryeol, 2006.
"Consumer price adjustment under the microscope: Germany in a period of low inflation,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,16, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz-Kim, Jeong-Ryeol, 2006. "Consumer price adjustment under the microscope: Germany in a period of low inflation," Working Paper Series 0652, European Central Bank.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303, June.
- Alvarez González, Luis Julián, 2008.
"What Do Micro Price Data Tell Us on the Validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(19), pages 1-36.
- Luis J. Álvarez, 2007. "What do micro price data tell us on the validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0728, Banco de Espa�a.
- Luis J. Alvarez, 2007. "What Do Micro Price Data Tell Us on the Validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?," Kiel Working Papers 1330, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Álvarez, Luis J., 2007. "What Do Micro Price Data Tell Us on the Validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-46, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Klenow, Peter J. & Malin, Benjamin A., 2010.
"Microeconomic Evidence on Price-Setting,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 6, pages 231-284
- Shruti Tripathi & Ashima Goyal, 2011. "Relative prices, the price level and inflation: Effects of asymmetric and sticky adjustment," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-026, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ludmila Fadejeva, 2013. "VAT Rate Effect on Price Setting Behaviour in Latvia: Evidence from CPI Micro Data," Working Papers 2013/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Adam Reiff & Attila Ratfai, 2009.
"The Geography of Consumer Prices,"
2009 Meeting Papers
607, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.