Exchange Rate Misalignments at World and European Levels: a FEER Approach
AbstractSince the mid-1990s, we observe an increase of world current account imbalances. These imbalances have only been partially reduced since the burst of the crisis in 2007. They reflect, to some extent, exchange rate misalignments, an issue which has been frequently studied in the literature. However, these imbalances, which have reinforced in the 2000s, are also important inside the Euro area. This analysis cannot be reduced to simple estimates of euro misalignment at the world level because of the specific constraints that exist for each member of the Euro area. This article aims to examine to what extent the intra-European imbalances reflect exchange rate misalignments for each "national euro".
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00435836.
Date of creation: 02 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Economie Internationale, 2010, 121, Issue 1 2010, 25-58
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00435836/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Equilibrium Exchange Rate; Current Account Balance; Macroeconomic Balance;
Other versions of this item:
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2010. "Exchange Rate Misalignments at World and European Levels: a FEER Approach," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 121, pages 25-58.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-11-27 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-11-27 (European Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-11-27 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Sophie Béreau & Valérie Mignon, 2009. "Taux de change d'équilibre. Une question d'horizon," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(3), pages 657-666.
- Didier Borowski & Cecile Couharde, 2003. "The Exchange Rate Macroeconomic Balance Approach: New Methodology and Results for the Euro, the Dollar, the Yen and the Pound Sterling," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 169-190, April.
- Jaewoo Lee & Jonathan David Ostry & Alessandro Prati & Luca Antonio Ricci & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2008. "Exchange Rate Assessments: CGER Methodologies," IMF Occasional Papers 261, International Monetary Fund.
- Sana Mestiri & Henri Sterdyniak & Antoine Bouveret, 2006.
"La valeur du yuan. Les paradoxes du taux de change d'équilibre,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/5282, Sciences Po.
- Antoine Bouveret & Sana Mestiri & Henri Sterdyniak, 2006. "La valeur du yuan. Les paradoxes du taux de change d'équilibre," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 98(3), pages 77-127.
- Alan Ahearne & William R. Cline & Kyung Tae Lee & Yung Chul Park & Jean Pisani-Ferry & John Williamson, 2007.
"Global Imbalances: Time for Action,"
PB07-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000.
"Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003. "Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries - An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Isard & Hamid Faruqee, 1998. "Exchange Rate Assessment: Extension of the Macroeconomic Balance Approach," IMF Occasional Papers 167, International Monetary Fund.
- William R. Cline, 2008. "Estimating Consistent Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Working Paper Series WP08-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Yiu, Matthew S., 2004. "Estimating output gaps in Asia: A cross-country study," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 115-136, March.
- Nigel Pain & Annabelle Mourougane & Franck Sédillot & Laurence Le Fouler, 2005. "The New OECD International Trade Model," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 440, OECD Publishing.
- C. Couharde & J. Mazier, 2001. "The equilibrium exchange rates of European currencies and the transition to euro," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(14), pages 1795-1801.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Regimes and Equilibrium Exchange Rates in East Asia,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 1161-1182.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Equilibrium Exchange Rates in East Asia," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 0-0.
- William R. Cline & John Williamson, 2008. "New Estimates of Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Policy Briefs PB08-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Alan Ahearne & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2006. "The Euro: only for the agile," Policy Briefs 42, Bruegel.
- William R. Cline & John Williamson, 2009. "2009 Estimates of Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Policy Briefs PB09-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jacques Mazier & Sophie Saglio, 2008. "Interdependency and adjustments in the European Union," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 17-44.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals - A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.