Global imbalances: time for action
AbstractIncreasing nervousness in world financial markets give new relevance to the long-standing issues of global current account adjustment. It reminds policymakers that this adjustment, if improperly managed, could lead to further drops in assets prices, disruptions in the global trading system, and possible world recession. The authors of this Policy Brief assess how to achieve an orderly reduction in the large and unsustainable global current account imbalances. The Policy Brief is the result of a joint conference held in Washington, D.C. on February 8 and 9 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Briefs with number 35.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Alan Ahearne & William R. Cline & Kyung Tae Lee & Yung Chul Park & Jean Pisani-Ferry & John Williamson, 2007. "Global Imbalances: Time for Action," Policy Briefs, Peterson Institute for International Economics PB07-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Misalignments at World and European Levels: a FEER Approach,"
Economie Internationale, CEPII research center,
CEPII research center, issue 121, pages 25-58.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2010. "Exchange Rate Misalignments at World and European Levels: a FEER Approach," Post-Print, HAL halshs-00435836, HAL.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & J�r�mie Cohen-Setton, 2008.
"Asia-Europe: the third link,"
European Economy - Economic Papers, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission
352, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Miranda Xafa, 2007. "Global Imbalances and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 07/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Nabil Aflouk & Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2011.
"Exchange Rate Misalignments and World Imbalances: a FEER Approach for Emerging Countries,"
- Nabil Aflouk & Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier & Jamel Saadaoui, 2010. "Exchange Rate Misalignments and International Imbalances a FEER Approach for Emerging Countries," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, CEPII research center, issue 124, pages 31-74.
- Saadaoui, Jamel, 2012.
"Déséquilibres globaux, taux de change d’équilibre et modélisation stock-flux cohérente
[Global Imbalances, Equilibrium Exchange Rates and Stock-Flow Consistent Modelling]," MPRA Paper, University Library of Munich, Germany 51332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pedro BAÇÃO & António Portugal DUARTE & Mariana SIMÕES, 2013.
"The International Monetary System in Flux: Overview and Prospects,"
Chapters of Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy book, ASERS Publishing,
in: Rajmund Mirdala (ed.), Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 192-206
- Pedro Bação & António Portugal Durate & Mariana Simões, 2013. "The International Monetary System in Flux: Overview and Prospects," GEMF Working Papers, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra 2013-07, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Avellaneda, Maria Belen, 2008. "The Transatlantic Economy Dollar vs Euro relations amid the Global Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper, University Library of Munich, Germany 22362, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Dec 2008.
- Robert Lafrance, 2008. "China's Exchange Rate Policy: A Survey of the Literature," Discussion Papers, Bank of Canada 08-5, Bank of Canada.
- Smith, Constance E., 2011.
"External balance adjustment: An intra-national and international comparison,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1195-1213, October.
- Smith, Constance, 2011. "External Balance Adjustment: An Intra-National and International Comparison," Working Papers, University of Alberta, Department of Economics 2011-13, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2008. "The end of Europe's longstanding indifference to the renminbi," Policy Contributions, Bruegel 263, Bruegel.
- Xafa, Miranda, 2007. "Global imbalances and financial stability," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 783-796.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.