Spurious Regression and Trending Variables
AbstractThis paper analyses the asymptotic and finite sample implications of different types of nonstationary behavior among the dependent and explanatory variables in a linear spurious regression model. We study cases when the nonstationarity in the dependent and explanatory variables is deterministic as well as stochastic. In particular, we derive the order in probability of the t-statistic in a linear regression equation under a variety of empirically relevant data generation processes, and show that he spurious regression phenomenon is present in all cases considered, when at least one of the variables behaves in a nonstationary way. Simulation experiments confirm our asymptotic results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers with number EM200701.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision: Jan 2007
Publication status: Published in Oxford bulletin of Economics and Statistics (2007)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UCEA-Campus Marfil, Fracc. I, El Establo, Guanajuato GTO 36250
Phone: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Fax: [+52 473] 735 2925 x-2925
Web page: http://economia.ugto.org/
More information through EDIRC
Trend Stationarity; Structural Breaks; Spurious Regression; Unit Roots; Trends;
Other versions of this item:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-05-26 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-05-26 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, P., 1994.
"Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables,"
Cahiers de recherche
9421, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, Pierre, 1997. "Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 355-385, October.
- Perron, P., 1990. "Further Evidence On Breaking Trend Functions In Macroeconomics Variables," Papers 350, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche 9421, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- A. Scorcu, 2002.
"On the Time Stability of the Output-Capital Ratio,"
434, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Noriega, Antonio E. & de Alba, Enrique, 2001. "Stationarity and structural breaks -- evidence from classical and Bayesian approaches," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 503-524, December.
- Wu, Jyh-Lin, 2000. "Mean reversion of the current account: evidence from the panel data unit-root test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 215-222, February.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Daniel Ventosa-Santaulària, 2006.
"Spurious Regression Under Broken-Trend Stationarity,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 671-684, 09.
- Daniel Ventosa-Santaularia & Antonio E. Noriega, 2005. "Spurious regression under broken trend stationarity," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 186, Society for Computational Economics.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Daniel Ventosa-Santaularia, 2005. "Spurious regression under broken trend stationarity," Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers EM200501, Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Hassler, Uwe, 1996. "Spurious regressions when stationary regressors are included," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 25-31, January.
- Haldrup, Neils, 1998. " An Econometric Analysis of I(2) Variables," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 595-650, December.
- Perron, Pierre & Vogelsang, Timothy J, 1992.
"Nonstationarity and Level Shifts with an Application to Purchasing Power Parity,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 301-20, July.
- Vogelsang, T.I. & Perron, P., 1991. "Nonstationary and Level Shifts With An Application To Purchasing Power Parity," Papers 359, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David H. Papell, 1997.
"Multiple Trend Breaks And The Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 212-218, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LPUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lumsdaine-Papell unit root test with structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00110, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Entorf, Horst, 1997. "Random walks with drifts: Nonsense regression and spurious fixed-effect estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 287-296, October.
- Marmol, Francesc, 1998. "Spurious regression theory with nonstationary fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 233-250, June.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986.
"Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 2,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
819R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1987.
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1989. "Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 2," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 95-131, April.
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 1998. "New Tools for Understanding Spurious Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1299-1326, November.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Clive Granger & Namwon Hyung & Yongil Jeon, 2001.
"Spurious regressions with stationary series,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(7), pages 899-904.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Hyung, Namwon & Jeon, Yongil, 1998. "Spurious Regressions with Stationary Series," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt7r3353t8, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Gunter Coenen & Juan Luis Vega, 2000.
"The Demand for M3 in the Euro Area,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0976, Econometric Society.
- Perron, Pierre & Zhu, Xiaokang, 2005. "Structural breaks with deterministic and stochastic trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 65-119.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & Lee, Young-Sook & Newbold, Paul, 2004. "Spurious regressions with stationary processes around linear trends," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 257-262, May.
- Marmol, Francesc, 1996. "Nonsense Regressions between Integrated Processes of Different Orders," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 525-36, August.
- Tsay, Wen-Jen & Chung, Ching-Fan, 2000. "The spurious regression of fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 155-182, May.
- Chris Stewart, 2011. "A note on spurious significance in regressions involving I(0) and I(1) variables," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 565-571, December.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Daniel Ventosa-Santaulària, 2011.
"A Simple Test for Spurious Regressions,"
2011-05, Banco de México.
- Zhang, Lingxiang, 2013. "Partial unit root and linear spurious regression: A Monte Carlo simulation study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 189-191.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Daniel Ventosa-Santaulària, 2010. "Spurious Long-Horizon Regression in Econometrics," Working Papers 2010-06, Banco de México.
- Robinson Kruse & Daniel Ventosa-Santaulària & Antonio E. Noriega, 2013. "Changes in persistence, spurious regressions and the Fisher hypothesis," CREATES Research Papers 2013-11, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Gomez Zaldivar, M. & Ventosa-Santaularia, D., 2009. "Bilateral Relationship between Consumption and GDP in Mexico and the USA: A Comment," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Sanchez Mier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.