Economic and Cultural Influences on the Decision to Leave Home in Peninsular Malaysia
AbstractAlthough the departure of children from parental home is an important life-cycle event, few studies have investigated nestleaving in developing countries. We find that the departure of children, especially sons, responds to economic incentives, including housing costs, family business, education and economic growth, and that ethnic differences in nestleaving are important.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by RAND - Labor and Population Program in its series Papers with number 97-03.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: RAND, Labor and Population Program, 1700 Main Street, P.O. Box 2138 Santa Monica, CA 90407-2138.
Phone: (310) 393-0411, x7359
Web page: http://www.rand.org/labor.html
More information through EDIRC
CULTURAL VALUES ; MALAYSIA;
Other versions of this item:
- Richard Johnson & Julie DaVanzo, 1998. "Economic and cultural influences on the decision to leave home in Peninsular Malaysia," Demography, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 97-114, February.
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eliakim Katz & Hillel Rapoport, 2001. "Macroeconomic Instability, Migration, and the Option Value of Education," Working Papers 2001-17, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Docquier, Frederic & Rapoport, Hillel, 2003.
"Ethnic discrimination and the migration of skilled labor,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 159-172, February.
- Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2001. "Ethnic Discrimination and the Migration of Skilled Labor," Working Papers 2001-19, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Docquier, Frédéric, 2003. "Ethnic discrimination and the migration of skiled labor," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078/96134, Université catholique de Louvain.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.