Determinants of School Attainment of Boys and Girls in Turkey
AbstractThis study investigates the determinants of school attainments of boys and girls in Turkey. Although high levels of enrollment have been achieved at the primary school level for both boys and girls in much of Turkey, substantial regional differences remain. In particular, in the Southeastern region, girls begin to drop out of school around the third grade. Only half of the primary school graduates register at the middle level. Thus, the purpose of this study is to examine the determinants of educational attainments at the primary, middle and high school levels. Attainments of boys and girls are examined separately so as to shed light on the cause for the significantly lower level of attainment for girls. Understanding the constraints causing the large gender gap in Turkish education and the covariates related to lower overall educational levels would be useful to policy makers and planners.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 9810.
Date of creation: Jul 1998
Date of revision: Jul 1998
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
Other versions of this item:
- Tansel, A., 1998. "Determinants of School Attainment of Boys and Girls in Turkey," Papers 789, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Subha Mani & John Hoddinott & John Strauss, 2009. "Determinants of Schooling Outcomes: Empirical Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2009-03, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Nicolas Fleury & Fabrice Gilles, 2013.
"An evaluation of the impact of industrial restructuring on individual human capital accumulation in France (1956-1993),"
- Nicolas Fleury & Fabrice Gilles, 2013. "An evaluation of the impact of industrial restructuring on individual human capital accumulation in France (1956-1993)," TEPP Working Paper 2013-09, TEPP.
- Fleury, Nicolas & Gilles, Fabrice, 2013.
"Restructurations industrielles et niveau de diplôme des jeunes générations. Une estimation empirique pour la France
[Industrial restructuring and level of diploma of young generations. An empiri," MPRA Paper 50685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicolas Fleury & Fabrice Gilles, 2012. "MOBILITES INTERGENERATIONNELLES DE CAPITAL HUMAIN ET RESTRUCTURATIONS INDUSTRIELLES. UNE EVALUATION POUR LE CAS DE LA France, 1946-1999," Working Papers hal-00988949, HAL.
- Aysit Tansel, 2001.
"Economic Development and Female Labor Force Participation in Turkey: Time-Series Evidence and Cross-Province Estimates,"
0124, Economic Research Forum, revised Aug 2001.
- Aysit Tansel, 2001. "Economic Development and Female Labor Force Participation in Turkey: Time-Series Evidence and Cross-Province Estimates," ERC Working Papers 0105, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2001.
- Stacy J. Kosko, 2012. "Educational Attainment and School-to-work Conversion of Roma in Romania: Adapting to Feasible Means or Ends?," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 415-450, August.
- T. Paul Schultz, 2006.
"Does the Liberalization of Trade Advance Gender Equality in Schooling and Health?,"
935, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Schultz, T. Paul, 2006. "Does the Liberalization of Trade Advance Gender Equality in Schooling and Health?," IZA Discussion Papers 2140, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tansel, Aysit, 2002. "Determinants of school attainment of boys and girls in Turkey: individual, household and community factors," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 455-470, October.
- Efraín Rodríguez Lozano, 2011. "¿Barreras Lingüísticas en la Educación?: La Influencia de la Lengua Materna en la Deserción Escolar," Documentos de Trabajo 2011-324, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Caner, Asena & Okten, Cagla, 2012.
"Higher Education in Turkey: Subsidizing the Rich or the Poor?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7011, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Caner, Asena & Okten, Cagla, 2013. "Higher education in Turkey: Subsidizing the rich or the poor?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 75-92.
- Pushkar Maitra, 2003.
"Schooling and Educational Attainment: Evidence from Bangladesh,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 129-153.
- Pushkar Maitra, 2001. "Schooling and Educational Attainment: Evidence from Bangladesh," ASARC Working Papers 2001-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Djavad Salehi-Isfahani & Insan Tunali & Ragui Assaad, 2009.
"A comparative study of returns to education of urban men in Egypt, Iran, and Turkey,"
e07-17, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Djavad Salehi-Isfahani & Insan Tunali & Ragui Assaad, 2009. "A Comparative Study Of Returns To Education Of Urban Men In Egypt, Iran, And Turkey," Middle East Development Journal (MEDJ), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 145-187.
- Meltem Dayioglu & Serap Türüt-Asik, 2004. "Gender Differences in Academic Performance in a Large Public University in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0417, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2004.
- Kirdar, Murat G. & Dayioglu, Meltem & Koc, Ismet, 2012. "Does longer compulsory education equalize educational attainment by gender, ethnicity, and socioeconomic background?," MPRA Paper 39995, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Raymond, Melanie & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2001. "The Impact Of Educational Grants On Basic Education Completion: Do The Poor Benefit?," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20585, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.