Guns, Butter, and Openness: On The Relationship Between Security and Trade
AbstractTo begin discussing the classical liberal and realist views we analyze a simple model that allows for possible insecurity as well as trade. We examine an economic environment in which two "small" countries dispute a resource that can be used in the production of tradeables. Claims on the resource are developed through arming. We analyze the effects of different trade regimes on arming and on the welfare of each country.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by California Irvine - School of Social Sciences in its series Papers with number 00-01-23.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA IRVINE, SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, IRVINECALIFORNIA 91717 U.S.A.
TRADE ; ECONOMICS ; WAR;
Other versions of this item:
- Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2001. "Guns, Butter, and Openness: On the Relationship between Security and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 353-357, May.
- Z00 - Other Special Topics - - General - - - General
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderton, Charles H & Anderton, Roxane A & Carter, John R, 1999. "Economic Activity in the Shadow of Conflict," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(1), pages 166-79, January.
- Anderson, James E. & Marcouiller, S.J. Douglas, 1997.
"Trade and Security, I: Anarchy,"
Working Paper Series
477, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 1997. "Trade and Security,I: Anarchy," NBER Working Papers 6223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, J-E & Marcouiller, D, 1997. "Trade and Security, 1:Anarchy," Research Institute of Industrial Economics Working Papers 477, Research Institute of Industrial Economics (IFN).
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.