Determinants and implications of the growing scale of livestock farms in four fast-growing developing countries:
Abstract"The rapid growth in consumer demand for livestock offers an opportunity to reduce poverty among smallholder livestock farmers in the developing world. These farmers' opportunity may be threatened, however, by competition from larger-scale farms. This report assesses the potential threat, examining various forms of livestock production in Brazil, India, the Philippines, and Thailand. Findings show that the competitiveness of smallholder farms depends on the opportunity cost of family labor and farmers' ability to overcome barriers to the acquisition of production- and market-related information and assets. Pro-poor livestock development depends, therefore, on the strengthening of institutions that will help smallholders overcome the disproportionately high transaction costs in securing quality inputs and obtaining market recognition for quality outputs. These and other findings make this report a useful guide for researchers and others concerned with the opportunities and risks of smallholder livestock farming." from Authors' Summary
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Research reports with number 157.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Developing countries; Economic aspects; Industrialization; Profit efficiency; Environmental externalities; Smallholder competitiveness; Livestock productivity; Livestock Industrialization; Scaling up;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-08-14 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2008-08-14 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2008-08-14 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989.
"Transaction cost economics,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012.
"Transaction Cost Economics
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012. "Transaction Cost Economics
- Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1988. "Labor markets in low-income countries," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 713-762 Elsevier.
- Staal, Steven & Delgado, Christopher & Nicholson, Charles, 1997. "Smallholder dairying under transactions costs in East Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 779-794, May.
- Westenbarger, David A. & Letson, David, 1995. "Livestock and Poultry Waste-Control Costs," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(2).
- Hui-Shung (Christie) Chang, 2007. "Analysis of the Philippine Chicken Industry: Commercial versus Backyard Sectors," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 4(1), pages 41-56, June.
- Catelo, Ma. Angeles O. & Narrod, Clare A. & Tiongco, Marites, 2008. "Structural changes in the Philippine pig industry and their environmental implications:," IFPRI discussion papers 781, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Rahman, M.H. & Talukder, Rezaul Karim & Raha, S.K., 2007. "Alternative institutional arrangements for contract farming in poultry production in Bangladesh and their impacts on equity," Research Reports 99125, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Huyen, Le Thi Thanh & Herold, Pera & Valle Zárate, A., 2010. "Farm types for beef production and their economic success in a mountainous province of northern Vietnam," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 137-145, March.
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Jha, Awadhesh K. & Tiongco, Marites & Narrod, Clare, 2008. "Improving farm-to-market linkages through contract farming: A case study of smallholder dairying in India," IFPRI discussion papers 814, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Narrod, Clare A. & Pray, Carl E. & Tiongco, Marites, 2008. "Technology transfer, policies, and the role of the private sector in the global poultry revolution:," IFPRI discussion papers 841, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Minten, Bart & Singh, K. M. & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2012.
"Branding and agricultural value chains in developing countries: insights from Bihar, India:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1207, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Minten, Bart & Singh, K.M. & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2013. "Branding and agricultural value chains in developing countries: Insights from Bihar (India)," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 23-34.
- Nguetse Tegoum, Pierre & Nakelse, Tebila & Ouedraogo, Issaka, 2012. "Combining Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Assessing the Impact of Agro-pastoral Programs on the Productivity of Farmers Organisations: The Case of Cameroon," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126365, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dr Ray Trewin, 2009. "Poultry Sector Support and Protection, Structural Change and Disease Risk," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec09-01, International and Development Economics.
- Mehta, Rajesh & Narrod, Clare & Tiongco, Marites, 2008. "Livestock industrialization, trade and social-health-environment impacts in developing countries: a case of Indian poultry sector," MPRA Paper 32678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Wada, Nikolas, 2003. "Meating and Milking Global Demand: Stakes for Small-Scale Farmers in Developing Countries," Conference Proceedings 2003 124009, Crawford Fund.
- Waldron, Scott A. & Brown, Colin G. & Longworth, John W., 2006. "The Integration of Rural Households into Ruminant Livestock Industries in China," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25318, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tiongco, Marites & Catelo, Maria Angeles & Lapar, Ma. Lucila, 2008. "Contract farming of swine in Southeast Asia as a response to changing market demand for quality and safety in pork:," IFPRI discussion papers 779, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rich, Karl M. & Narrod, Clare A., 2010. "The role of public–private partnerships in promoting smallholder access to livestock markets in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 1001, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.