Funding and operation of stadiums and arenas beside high-class leagues
AbstractFinancing and operating stadiums and arenas beside the respective national high-class leagues are demanding tasks for those involved, mostly clubs or local governments. In the majority of cases, the affected clubs and teams heavily rely on ticket and catering revenues or sponsorships since the marketing of TV rights is of negligible importance. Nevertheless, the respective stadiums and arenas are often old and lack modern comfort on account of budget constraints impeding capital spending by clubs or governments. Starting from these observations and considering the features of the relevant sports facilities, we examine which funding and operating models could improve the endowment with stadiums and arenas in an efficiency-maximizing way and derive helpful recommandations for clubs, policy makers and private investors. For this purpose, we also establish four criteria to assess the efficiency of any stadium or arena construction and operation models, namely funding efficiency, cost efficiency, management efficiency and allocation efficiency. (Note: This paper is in German.)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists in its series Working Papers with number 0604.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
sports facilities; public funding; public-private-partnerships;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-MKT-2006-06-24 (Marketing)
- NEP-SPO-2006-06-24 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989.
"Transaction cost economics,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012.
"Transaction Cost Economics
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012. "Transaction Cost Economics
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2003. "Professional Sports Facilities, Franchises and Urban Economic Development," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 03-103, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Pauli, Markus, 2002. "Kooperationsformen der Stadionfinanzierung im deutschen Profifußball," Ökonomik der Kooperation, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 1, number urn:isbn:9783161478383, July.
- Rebeggiani, Luca & Witte, Sebastian, 2007.
"Die Finanzierung von Sportarenen – Optionen für große und mittelgroße Projekte
[Financing sports arenas - options for large and middle-size projects]," MPRA Paper 5323, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2007.
- Rebeggiani, Luca & Witte, Sebastian, 2007. "Die Finanzierung von Sportarenen - Optionen für große und mittelgroße Projekte," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-374, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.