Transactions Cost Theory influence in strategy research: A review through a bibliometric study in leading journals
AbstractTransaction cost theory (TCT) is widely used in several management disciplines. Its value for explaining organizational phenomena and managers? decisions is well accepted and has been recognized with two Nobel laureates (Ronald Coase and Oliver Williamson). In this paper we examine the impact of the TCT on extant research in top tier management journals. We conduct a bibliometric study supported in the analysis of citations and co-citations to uncover the connections between authors and presumably theories. We conclude that the TCT, albeit its specific focus on the transactions as the unit of analysis, is present in a majority of management- and business-related research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria in its series Working Papers with number 61.
Date of creation: 06 Apr 2010
Date of revision:
transaction costs theory; bibliometric study; strategy research; review;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M0 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - General
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Holmstrom & John Roberts, 1998. "The Boundaries of the Firm Revisited," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 73-94, Fall.
- Hennart, J.M.A., 2001. "Explaining the swollen middle: Why most transactions are a mix of market and hierarchy," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-87538, Tilburg University.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "The Economics of Internal Organization: An Introduction," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(1), pages 163-172, Spring.
- Alchian, Armen A & Woodward, Susan L, 1988. "The Firm is Dead; Long Live the Firm: A Review of Oliver E. Williamson's The Economic Institutions of Capitalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 65-79, March.
- Dow, Gregory K., 1987. "The function of authority in transaction cost economics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 13-38, March.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2005. "The Economics of Governance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 1-18, May.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989.
"Transaction cost economics,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012.
"Transaction Cost Economics
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012. "Transaction Cost Economics
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Shelanski, Howard A & Klein, Peter G, 1995. "Empirical Research in Transaction Cost Economics: A Review and Assessment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 335-61, October.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra, 2009. "Make or Buy in a mature industry? Models of client-supplier relationships under TCT and RBV perspectives," Working Papers 37, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1988. "Asset Specificity and the Structure of Vertical Relationships: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 95-117, Spring.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra & Benny Kramer Costa, 2011. "The RBV in International Business Studies: A bibliometric study of Barney?s (1991) contribution to the field," Working Papers 82, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- JoÃ£o Carvalho Santos & Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Nuno Rosa Reis & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra, 2011. "Mergers & Acquisitions research: A bibliometric study of top strategy journals, 2000 - 2009," Working Papers 70, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Nuno Rosa Reis & Manuel Portugal Ferreira & João Carvalho Santos, 2013. "A bibliometric study of the cultural models in International Business research," Working Papers 104, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nuno Reis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.