Impact of water user associations on agricultural productivity in Chile:
Abstract"This article uses combined household- and community-level data collected from the Maule Region (VII) of Chile to evaluate factors affecting the decision to participate in yearly irrigation maintenance activities, and the influence of current behavior on farm revenues. Empirical results indicate that water user association characteristics explain much of the variation in participation decisions, contribution amounts, variable input purchases, and subsequent farm revenues." from authors' abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 892.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Water user association; Participation; Irrigation; Water resources; Environmental impacts;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-09-26 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-09-26 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2009-09-26 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elinor Ostrom & Roy Gardner, 1993. "Coping with Asymmetries in the Commons: Self-Governing Irrigation Systems Can Work," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 93-112, Fall.
- McCarthy, Nancy & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1998. "Land allocation under dual individual-collective use in Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 239-264, August.
- Wade, Robert, 1995. "The ecological basis of irrigation institutions: East and South Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 2041-2049, December.
- Masako Fujiie & Yujiro Hayami & Masao Kikuchi, 2005. "The conditions of collective action for local commons management: the case of irrigation in the Philippines," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 179-189, 09.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1999. "The Ambiguous Impact of Inequality on Local Resource Management," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 773-788, May.
- Jeff Dayton-Johnson and Pranab Bardhan., 1996.
"Inequality and Conservation on the Local Commons: A Theoretical Exercise,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C96-071, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeff Dayton-Johnson & Pranab Bardhan, 2002. "Inequality And Conservation On The Local Commons: A Theoretical Exercise," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(481), pages 577-602, July.
- Dayton-Johnson, Jeff & Bardhan, Pranab, 1996. "Inequality and Conservation on the Local Commons: A Theoretical Exercise," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt7f9913w9, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bauer, Carl J., 1997. "Bringing water markets down to earth: The political economy of water rights in Chile, 1976-1995," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 639-656, May.
- Subramanian, A. & Jagannathan, N.V. & Meinzen-Dick, R., 1997. "User Organizations for Sustainable Water Services," Papers 354, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Gulati, Ashok & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Raju, K. Vengama, 2005. "Institutional reforms in Indian irrigation:," Food policy statements 42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- McCarthy, Nancy & Kilic, Talip, 2014. "The nexus between gender, collective action for public goods, and agriculture : evidence from Malawi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6806, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.