Investing in African agriculture to halve poverty by 2015:
Abstract"This paper proposes a simple methodology to estimate the agricultural spending that will be required to achieve the Millennium Development Goal of halving poverty by 2015 (MDG1) in 30 sub-Saharan African countries. This method uses growth-poverty and growth-expenditure elasticities to estimate the financial resources required to meet the MDG1, considering both the direct and indirect impacts of agricultural spending on poverty reduction. The paper attempts to address a key knowledge gap by improving estimation of MDG costs at both the regional and country levels." from Author's Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 751.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Poverty; Millennium Development Goals; Investment; Sub-Saharan Africa; Agriculture;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Miller, Margaret J. & Swanson, Eric V., 2002. "Goals for development : history, prospects and costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2819, The World Bank.
- Paul Mosley & John Hudson & Arjan Verschoor, 2004. "Aid, Poverty Reduction and the 'New Conditionality'," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(496), pages F217-F243, 06.
- Haroon Bhorat, 2005. "Poverty, Inequality and Labour Markets in Africa: A Descriptive Overview," Working Papers 05092, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2006. "The role of agriculture in poverty reduction an empirical perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4013, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Paternostro, Stefano, 2002.
"Growth, distribution, and poverty in Africa : messages from the 1990s,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2810, The World Bank.
- Luc Christiaensen & Lionel Demery & Stefano Paternostro, 2002. "Growth, Distribution, and Poverty in Africa : Messages from the 1990s," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15215, October.
- Adams, Richard Jr., 2004. "Economic Growth, Inequality and Poverty: Estimating the Growth Elasticity of Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1989-2014, December.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 1999. "When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from the diverse experiences of India's states," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2263, The World Bank.
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 2003. "Halving Global Poverty," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- Diao, Xinshen & Fan, Shenggen & Headey, Derek & Johnson, Michael & Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2008. "Accelerating Africa's food production in response to rising food prices: Impacts and requisite actions," IFPRI discussion papers 825, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Labintan, Adeniyi Constant, 2010. "Evaluation of The Necessary of Agriculture Public Expenditure for Poverty Reduction and Food Security in Benin," MPRA Paper 24446, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 Jul 2010.
- Ellen Aabø & Thomas Kring, 2012. "The Political Economy of Large-Scale Agricultural Land Acquisitions: Implications for Food Security and Livelihoods/Employment Creation in Rural Mozambique," Working Papers 2012-004, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA).
- Labintan, Adeniyi Constant, 2010. "Evaluation of The Necessary of Agriculture Public Expenditure for Poverty Reduction and Food Security in Benin," MPRA Paper 24247, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Macharia, Ibrahim & Orr, Alastair & Simtowe, Franklin & Asfaw, Solomon, 2012. "Potential Economic And Poverty Impact Of Improved Chickpea Technologies In Ethiopia," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 132553, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- BrÃ¼ntrup, Michael, 0. "The Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) â€“ An Assessment of a Pan-African Attempt to Revitalise Agriculture â€“," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 50.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ulimwengu, John, 2009. "The growth-poverty convergence agenda: Optimizing social expenditures to maximize their impact on agricultural labor productivity, growth, and poverty reduction in Africa," IFPRI discussion papers 906, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Renkow, Mitch, 2010. "Impacts of IFPRI's "priorities for pro-poor public investment" global research program:," Impact assessments 31, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Omilola, Babatunde & Lambert, Melissa, 2010. "Weathering the storm," IFPRI discussion papers 965, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Herdt, Robert W., 2012. "People, institutions, and technology: A personal view of the role of foundations in international agricultural research and development 1960–2010," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 179-190.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.