How costly is it to achieve the Millennium Development Goal of halving poverty between 1990 and 2015?
AbstractThis paper proposes a methodology to estimate required growth rates, investment rates, and per capita foreign aid in US dollars in order to achieve the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of halving poverty between 1990 and 2015. It provides a methodology which gives a linkage between costs of MDG, growth, poverty, and inequality. In this study, the methodology is applied only to the head-count poverty measure but is applicable to other poverty measures. This study takes into account the distributional aspect to derive the estimates of the projected growth and investment rates required for the next 10 years from 2005 to reach the MDG poverty reduction target. This has been done through simulating different growth scenarios: anti-poor, distribution neutral, and pro-poor. The proposed methodology is applied to the 15 Sub-Saharan African countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth in its series Working Papers with number 19.
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by UNDP - International Poverty Centre, May 2006, pages 1-32
Growth; Poverty; Inequality; Millennium Development Goals; Foreign aid; Investment; Sub-Saharan Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nguetse Tegoum, Pierre & Nakelse, Tebila & Ouedraogo, Issaka, 2012. "Combining Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Assessing the Impact of Agro-pastoral Programs on the Productivity of Farmers Organisations: The Case of Cameroon," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126365, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nwachukwu, Jacinta, 2011. "Halving poverty in HIPC countries by 2015: How costly if achievable?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 213-225, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.