Halving poverty in HIPC countries by 2015: How costly if achievable?
AbstractThis article assesses the likelihood and costs of halving the poverty headcount ratio by 2015 from its 1990 levels in sixteen post-HIPC-MDRI countries. An optimistic pro-poor growth scenario indicates that, on average, they will attain this goal 2 years before the end date. An estimated annual cost of 16 percent of the recipients' GDPs suggests that currently available funds will be sufficient to finance the MDG poverty target, provided that they achieve a 6 percent annual economic growth, improve their equality of incomes and implement policies to raise absorptive capacity to levels obtained by East Asian countries in the mid-1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
HIPC MDRI Dual-gap Domestic savings gap Trade gap;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addy, Samuel N., 2001. "Note on a computable general equilibrium model for Ghana: Identifying growth areas," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 821-824, October.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D & Warner, Andrew M, 1997.
"Sources of Slow Growth in African Economies,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(3), pages 335-76, October.
- Lucia Hanmer & Niek De Jong & Rachel Kurian & Jos Mooij, 1999. "Are the DAC targets achievable? Poverty and human development in the year 2015," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 547-563.
- Ann Pettifor and Romilly Greenhill, 2003. "Debt Relief and the Millennium Development Goals," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2003-05, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Solimano, Andres, 2003. "Remittances by Emigrants: Issues and Evidence," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Chen, Shaohua & Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1994.
"Is Poverty Increasing in the Developing World?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(4), pages 359-76, December.
- Ravallion, Martin & Sen, Binayak, 1996. "When Method Matters: Monitoring Poverty in Bangladesh," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 761-92, July.
- Löfgren, Hans & Harris, Rebecca Lee & Robinson, Sherman, 2001. "A standard computable general equilibrium (CGE) model in GAMS," TMD discussion papers 75, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Easterly, William, 1999. "The ghost of financing gap: testing the growth model used in the international financial institutions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 423-438, December.
- Nanak Kakwani & Hyun H. Son, 2006. "How costly is it to achieve the Millennium Development Goal of halving poverty between 1990 and 2015?," Working Papers 19, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Rob Vos & Marco V Sanchez & Keiji Inoue, 2007. "Constraints to achieving the MDGs through domestic resource mobilization," Working Papers 36, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Sahn, David E., 2000. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Effect of Macroeconomic Adjustment on Poverty in Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 753-776, November.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Miller, Margaret J. & Swanson, Eric V., 2002. "Goals for development : history, prospects and costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2819, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.