Food and financial crises: Implications for agriculture and the poor
Abstract"High food prices from 2007 through mid-2008 had serious implications for food and nutrition security, macroeconomic stability, and political security. The unfolding global financial crisis and economic slowdown have now pushed food prices to lower levels. Yet the financial crunch has also decreased the availability of capital at a time when accelerated investment in agriculture is urgently needed. The food and financial crises will have strong and long-lasting effects on emerging economies and poor people. A synchronized response is needed to ease the burden on the poor and allow agriculture to face new challenges and respond to new opportunities. Three sets of complementary policy actions should be taken: (1) promote pro-poor agricultural growth, (2) reduce market volatility, and (3) expand social protection and child nutrition action. Agriculture requires strategic investment action, and the food-insecure poor need a bailout now." from Text
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Food policy reports with number 20.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
food security; Nutrition security; Pro-poor growth; Agricultural growth; Food prices; Social protection; Global financial crises;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-01-10 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2009-01-10 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2009-01-10 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-DEV-2009-01-10 (Development)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vu, Linh & Glewwe, Paul, 2011.
"Impacts of Rising Food Prices on Poverty and Welfare in Vietnam,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Linh Vu Hoang & Paul Glewwe, 2009. "Impacts of Rising Food Prices on Poverty and Welfare in Vietnam," Working Papers 13, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Mason, Nicole M. & Jayne, T.S. & Chapoto, Antony & Donovan, Cynthia, 2011. "Putting the 2007/2008 global food crisis in longer-term perspective: Trends in staple food affordability in urban Zambia and Kenya," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 350-367, June.
- Gbadebo Oladosu & Siwa Msangi, 2013. "Biofuel-Food Market Interactions: A Review of Modeling Approaches and Findings," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(1), pages 53-71, February.
- Brian D. Wright, 2012.
"International Grain Reserves And Other Instruments to Address Volatility in Grain Markets,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 222-260, August.
- Wright, Brian, 2009. "International grain reserves and other instruments to address volatility in grain markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5028, The World Bank.
- Gentilini, Ugo & Omamo, Steven Were, 2011. "Social protection 2.0: Exploring issues, evidence and debates in a globalizing world," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 329-340, June.
- Minot, Nicholas & Chemingui, Mohamed Abdelbasset & Thomas, Marcelle & Dewina, Reno & Orden, David, 2010. "Trade liberalization and poverty in the Middle East and North Africa:," Research reports Nicholas Minot, et al., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Woolverton, Andrea E. & Kiawu, James, 2009. "Policy Responses to 2008 High Food Prices: Domestic Incentives and Global Implications," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 104506, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2011. "Growth and Productivity in Agriculture and Agribusiness : Evaluative Lessons from World Bank Group Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2279, March.
- Michael Herrmann, 2009. "Food Security And Agricultural Development In Times Of High Commodity Prices," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 196, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Johnston, Robyn M. & Hoanh, Chu Thai & Lacombe, Guillaume & Noble, Andrew D. & Smakhtin, Vladimir & Suhardiman, Diana & Kam, Suan Pheng & Choo, P. S, 2009. "Scoping study on natural resources and climate change in Southeast Asia with a focus on agriculture. Final report," IWMI Books, Reports H042414, International Water Management Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.