Mortgage Hedging in Fixed Income Markets
AbstractWe study the feedback from hedging mortgage portfolios on the level and volatility of interest rates. We incorporate the supply shocks resulting from hedging into an otherwise standard dynamic term structure model, and derive two sets of predictions which are strongly supported by the data: First, the duration of mortgage-backed securities (MBS) positively predicts excess bond returns, especially for longer maturities. Second, MBS convexity increases yield and swaption implied volatilities, and this effect has a hump-shaped term structure. Empirically, neither duration, nor convexity are spanned by yield factors. A calibrated version of our model replicates salient features of first and second moments of bond yields
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp722.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2013-08-16 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SPO-2013-08-16 (Sports & Economics)
- NEP-URE-2013-08-16 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wright, Jonathan H. & Zhou, Hao, 2009. "Bond risk premia and realized jump risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2333-2345, December.
- Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy & Olivier Vigneron, 2005.
"Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market,"
NBER Working Papers
11851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy & Olivier Vigneron, 2007. "Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 557-595, 04.
- Olivier Vigneron, & Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2004. "Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 430, Econometric Society.
- Nikolai Roussanov & Michael Michaux & Hui Chen, 2011. "Houses as ATMs? Mortgage Refinancing and Macroeconomic Uncertainty," 2011 Meeting Papers 1369, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Wei Xiong & Hongjun Yan, 2010.
"Heterogeneous Expectations and Bond Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1433-1466, April.
- Wei Xiong & Hongjun Yan, 2006. "Heterogeneous Expectations and Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 12781, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei Xiong & Hongjun Yan & Review Financial, 2007. "Heterogeneous Expectations and Bond Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2614, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jun 2009.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- David F. Schrager & Antoon A. J. Pelsser, 2006. "Pricing Swaptions And Coupon Bond Options In Affine Term Structure Models," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 673-694.
- Jean-Sébastien Fontaine & René Garcia, 2012.
"Bond Liquidity Premia,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(4), pages 1207-1254.
- Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Philip H. Dybvig & Stephen A. Ross, 1998.
"Long Forward and Zero-Coupon Rates Can Never Fall,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm45, Yale School of Management.
- Philippe Mueller & Andrea Vedolin & Yu-min Yen, 2012. "Bond Variance Risk Premia," FMG Discussion Papers dp699, Financial Markets Group.
- Sydeny C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2005.
"Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia,"
NBER Working Papers
11703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldhütter, Peter & Lando, David, 2008. "Decomposing swap spreads," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 375-405, May.
- Francis A. Longstaff, 2005. "Borrower Credit and the Valuation of Mortgage-Backed Securities," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 619-661, December.
- Boudoukh, Jacob, et al, 1997. "Pricing Mortgage-Backed Securities in a Multifactor Interest Rate Environment: A Multivariate Density Estimation Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 405-46.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " Prepayment and the Valuation of Mortgage-Backed Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 375-92, June.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne & Robert S. Goldstein, 2002. "Do Bonds Span the Fixed Income Markets? Theory and Evidence for Unspanned Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1685-1730, 08.
- Beltran, Daniel O. & Kretchmer, Maxwell & Marquez, Jaime & Thomas, Charles P., 2013.
"Foreign holdings of U.S. Treasuries and U.S. Treasury yields,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 1120-1143.
- Daniel O. Beltran & Maxwell Kretchmer & Jaime Marquez & Charles P. Thomas, 2012. "Foreign holdings of U.S. Treasuries and U.S. Treasury yields," International Finance Discussion Papers 1041, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dwight Jaffee, 2003. "The Interest Rate Risk of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-29, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.