Pricing Mortgage-Backed Securities in a Multifactor Interest Rate Environment: A Multivariate Density Estimation Approach
AbstractMultivariate density estimation (MDE) suggests that mortgage-backed security (MBS) prices can be well described as a function of the level and slope of the term structure. We analyze bow this function varies across MBSs with different coupons. An important finding is that the interest rate level proxies for the moneyness of the option, the expected level of prepayments, and the average life of the cash flows, while the term structure slope controls for the average rate at which these cash flows should be discounted. Though the origination and prepayment behavior of mortgages differ substantially across coupons, there remains an unexplained common factor in MBS prices. This factor does not seem to be related to the usual suspects and therefore presents a puzzle to financial economists. Coauthors are Robert F. Whitelaw, Matthew Richardson, and Richard Stanton. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 10 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Longstaff, Francis A., 2002. "Optimal Recursive Refinancing and the Valuation of Mortgage-Backed Securities," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt19k7479t, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Maciej Firla-Cuchra, 2005. "Explaining Launch Spreads on Structured Bonds," Economics Series Working Papers 230, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy & Olivier Vigneron, 2005.
"Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market,"
NBER Working Papers
11851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy & Olivier Vigneron, 2007. "Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 557-595, 04.
- Olivier Vigneron, & Xavier Gabaix & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2004. "Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence from the Mortgage-Backed Securities Market," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 430, Econometric Society.
- Huizinga, Harry & Laeven, Luc, 2012. "Bank valuation and accounting discretion during a financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 614-634.
- Shojai, Shahin & Feiger, George, 2010. "Economists’ hubris – the case of risk management," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 28, pages 27-35.
- Maciej Firla-Cuchra & Tim Jenkinson, 2005. "Security Design in the Real World: Why are Securitization Issues Tranched?," Economics Series Working Papers 225, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Das, Sanjiv R. & Meadows, Ray, 2013. "Strategic loan modification: An options-based response to strategic default," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 636-647.
- Shojai, Shahin & Feiger, George, 2011. "Economists’ Hubris – The Case of Award Winning Finance Literature," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 31, pages 9-17.
- Andrew Jeffrey, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Multifactor Heath-Jarrow-Morton Model: An Integrated Approach," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 251-289.
- Arvind Krishnamurhty & Zhiguo He, 2010. "Intermediary Asset Pricing," 2010 Meeting Papers 1327, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Shojai, Shahin & Feiger, George & Kumar, Rajesh, 2010. "Economists’ hubris — the case of equity asset management," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 29, pages 9-16.
- Duarte, Jefferson & Longstaff, Francis A. & Yu, Fan, 2005. "Risk and Return in Fixed Income Arbitage: Nickels in Front of a Steamroller?," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt6zx6m7fp, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Francis A. Longstaff, 2004. "Optimal Recursive Refinancing and the Valuation of Mortgage-Backed Securities," NBER Working Papers 10422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aytek Malkhozov & Philippe Mueller & Andrea Vedolin & Gyuri Venter, 2013. "Mortgage Hedging in Fixed Income Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp722, Financial Markets Group.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2007. "The Demand for Treasury Debt," NBER Working Papers 12881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Teresa Corzo Santamaría & Javier Gómez Biscarri, 2005.
"Nonparametric estimation of convergence of interest rates: Effects on bond pricing,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 167-190, 09.
- Teresa Corzo Santamaría & Javier Gómez Biscarri, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of Convergence of Interest Rates: Effects on Bond Pricing," Faculty Working Papers 03/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.