Education, Utilitarianism, and Equality of Opportunity
AbstractWe analyze in this working paper the impact of different policies on the investment of families in the education of their children. In the model we present, families make decisions on the level of human capital of their offspring with a view to the future income that this capital will entail (under the assumption that higher education levels yield higher expected income). Families optimal investment in education depends on their preferences (summarized by their time discount and risk aversion parameters) and their circumstances (initial wealth, parents education, and children s natural abilities). The public authority designs a balanced tax/subsidy scheme in order to maximize aggregate welfare. We compare the case of a purely utilitarian planner with one that cares about the equality of opportunity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation in its series Working Papers with number 201051.
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Equality of opportunity; investment in education; public policy design.;
Other versions of this item:
- Calo-Blanco, Aitor & Villar, Antonio, 2009. "Education, Utilitarianism, and Equality of Opportunity," MPRA Paper 18720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ese:iserwp:2000-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- John E. Roemer & Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Johan Fritzell & Stephen P. Jenkins & Ive Marx & Marianne Page & Evert Pommer & Javier Ruiz-Castillo & Maria Jesus San Segundo & Torben Tranaes & Gert G, 2000.
"To What Extent do Fiscal Regimes Equalize Opportunities for Income Acquisition Among Citizens?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
222, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Roemer, John E. & Aaberge, Rolf & Colombino, Ugo & Fritzell, Johan & Jenkins, Stephen P. & Lefranc, Arnaud & Marx, Ive & Page, Marianne & Pommer, Evert & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier, 2003. "To what extent do fiscal regimes equalize opportunities for income acquisition among citizens?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3-4), pages 539-565, March.
- John Roemer, 2003. "To What Extent Do Fiscal Regimes Equalize Opportunities For Income Acquisition Among Citizens," Working Papers 03, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- John E. Roemer & Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Johan Fritzell & Stephen P. Jenkins & Ive Marx & Marianne Page & Evert Pommer & Javier Ruiz-Castillo & Maria Jesus San Segundo & Torben Tranæs & Gert G, . "To What Extent Do Fiscal Regimes Equalize Opportunities for Income Acquisition among Citizens?," EPRU Working Paper Series 00-10, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- John E. Roemer, . "To What Extent Do Fiscal Regimes Equalize Opportunities For Income Acquisition Among Citizens," Department of Economics 00-03, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- John E. Roemer & Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Johan Fritzell & Stephen P. Jenkins & Ive Marx & Marianne Page & Evert Pommer & Javier Ruiz-Castillo & Maria Jesus SanSegundo & Torben Tranaes & Gert G., 2000. "To what Extent do Fiscal Regimes Equalize Opportunities for Income Acquisition Among citizens?," Discussion Papers 272, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Yona Rubinstein & James J. Heckman, 2001. "The Importance of Noncognitive Skills: Lessons from the GED Testing Program," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 145-149, May.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Leung, Charles Ka Yui & Yilmaz, Kuzey, 2003.
"Redistribution through education and other transfer mechanisms,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1719-1750, November.
- Hanushek, Eric & Charles Ka Yui Leung & Kuzey Yilmaz, 2002. "Redistribution through Education and Other Transfer Mechanisms," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 94, Royal Economic Society.
- Eric Hanushek & Charles Ka Yui Leung & Kuzey Yilmaz, 2001. "Redistribution through Education and Other Transfer Mechanisms," NBER Working Papers 8588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J., 2007.
"The Technology of Skill Formation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2550, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Card, David, 1999. "The causal effect of education on earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1801-1863 Elsevier.
- Calo-Blanco Aitor & Villar Notario Antonio, 2010. "Quality of Education and Equality of Opportunity in Spain: Lesson from Pisa," Working Papers 20104, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Villar Antonio, 2005. "On the Welfare Evaluation of Income and Opportunity," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Roemer,John E., 2006.
"Democracy, Education, and Equality,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521609135, December.
- Gianni De Fraja & Tania Oliveira & Luisa Zanchi, 2010.
"Must Try Harder: Evaluating the Role of Effort in Educational Attainment,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 577-597, August.
- De Fraja, Gianni & Oliveira, Tania & Zanchi, Luisa, 2005. "Must Try Harder. Evaluating the Role of Effort in Educational Attainment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roemer, J.E., 1992. "A Pragmatic Theory of Responsibility for the Egalitarian Planner," Papers 391, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006.
"Equality of Opportunity: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
THEMA Working Papers
2006-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Equality of Opportunity: Definitions and Testable Conditions with an Application to Income in France," IDEP Working Papers 0609, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 27 Sep 2006.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Equality of opportunity: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," Working Papers 53, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Aitor Calo, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and optimal effort decision under uncertainty," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.