Quality of Education and Equality of Opportunity in Spain: Lesson from Pisa
AbstractThis working paper analyzes the performance of the Spanish educational system according to the 2006 PISA report, focussing on the equality of opportunity. The basic idea is that a good educational system should produce outcomes that depend basically on the students effort and not on the students external circumstances (parental background here). We present a simple formula to estimate the inequality of opportunity and analyze empirically the behaviour of Spain and its constituent regions, both with respect to quality (mean scores) and with respect to the inequality of opportunity. We find that Spain performs better than the European average in terms of equality of opportunity and worse in terms of quality. We also find large and systematic differences between the Spanish regions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation in its series Working Papers with number 20104.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Quality of education; equality of opportunity; PISA report; regional disparities;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2010-09-25 (Education)
- NEP-EUR-2010-09-25 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GEO-2010-09-25 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HRM-2010-09-25 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2010-09-25 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2010-09-25 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calo-Blanco, Aitor & Villar, Antonio, 2009.
"Education, Utilitarianism, and Equality of Opportunity,"
18720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Villar Notario Antonio & Calo-Blanco Aitor, 2009. "Education, Utilitarianism, and Equality of Opportunity," Working Papers 201051, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.