The Euro Through the Looking-Glass: Perceived Inflation Following the 2002 Currency Changeover
AbstractFollowing the Euro changeover in January 2002, consumers across the Euro Area perceived a sharp rise in inflation, in contrast to official figures. Several theories have been advanced to explain this apparent economic illusion, but they struggle to account for its striking scale and persistence. We offer an alternative account, based on the premise that the currency changeover increased consumers' perceptual error when assessing the value of monetary amounts. Under plausible assumptions, this would lead them to experience a loss of purchasing power. We confirm two empirical hypotheses in support of the theory: (1) the extent of overestimation of inflation was strongly associated with subjective difficulty using the Euro; (2) there was a simultaneous downward shift in expected inflation. Our results imply that currency changeovers are not simple matters of numerical conversion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP338.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
consumer behaviour/Euro changeover/inflation expectations/inflation perceptions/uncertainty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-04-17 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-04-17 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2010-04-17 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonung, Lars, 1981. "Perceived and Expected Rates of Inflation in Sweden," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 961-68, December.
- Rob Ranyard, 2007. "Euro Stories: The Irish Experience of Currency Change," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 313-322, December.
- John A. Carlson, 1977. "A Study of Price Forecasts," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 6, number 1, pages 27-56 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Antonides, Gerrit, 2008. "How is perceived inflation related to actual price changes in the European Union?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 417-432, August.
- Eva Traut-Mattausch & Tobias Greitemeyer & Dieter Frey & Stefan Schulz-Hardt, 2007. "Illusory Price Increases after the Euro Changeover in Germany: An Expectancy-Consistent Bias," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 421-434, December.
- Paolo Del Giovane & Roberto Sabbatini, 2006. "Perceived and Measured Inflation after the Launch of the Euro: Explaining the Gap in Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 65(2), pages 155-192, November.
- Vincenzo Cestari & Paolo Del Giovane & Clelia Rossi-Arnaud, 2007. "Memory for prices and the euro cash changeover: An analysis for cinema prices in Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 619, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Eva Hofmann & Erich Kirchler & Bernadette Kamleitner, 2007. "Consumer Adaptation Strategies: From Austrian Shilling to the Euro," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 367-381, December.
- Stix, Helmut, 2009. "Perceived inflation and the euro: Evidence from an Austrian survey," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 547-561, December.
- Stix, Helmut & Fluch, Manfred, 2007. "The Development of Euro Prices – Subjective Perception and Empirical Facts," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 55â84.
- Duffy, David & Lunn, Peter D., 2009.
"The Misperception of Inflation by Irish Consumers,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(2), pages 139â163.
- Lena Vogel & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, 2009. "Prospect Theory and Inflation Perceptions - An Empirical Assessment," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200903, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Lunn, Pete & Lunn, Mary, 2009. "A Computational Theory of Exchange: Willingness to pay, willingness to accept and the endowment effect," Papers WP327, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Wioletta Dziuda & Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2009.
"The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 101-129, 02.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005. "The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Ehrmann, Michael, 2006. "Rational inattention, inflation developments and perceptions after the euro cash changeover," Working Paper Series 0588, European Central Bank.
- Greitemeyer, Tobias & Schulz-Hardt, Stefan & Traut-Mattausch, Eva & Frey, Dieter, 2005. "The influence of price trend expectations on price trend perceptions: Why the Euro seems to make life more expensive?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 541-548, August.
- Michael J. Lamla & Sarah M. Lein, 2010. "The Euro Cash Changeover, Inflation Perceptions and the Media," KOF Working papers 10-254, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Gamble, Amelie, 2006. "Euro illusion or the reverse? Effects of currency and income on evaluations of prices of consumer products," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 531-542, August.
- Thomas A. Eife & Stephan Meier, 2007. "Costly Inflation Misperceptions," Working Papers 0455, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2007.
- Horowitz, John K. & McConnell, Kenneth E., 2002. "A Review of WTA/WTP Studies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 426-447, November.
- Ranyard, Rob & Missier, Fabio Del & Bonini, Nicolao & Duxbury, Darren & Summers, Barbara, 2008. "Perceptions and expectations of price changes and inflation: A review and conceptual framework," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 378-400, August.
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Tol, Richard S. J., 2011. "The Climate Change Response Bill 2010: An Assessment," Papers WP371, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Lyons, Sean & Tol, Richard S.J., 2011.
"Public policy towards the sale of state assets in troubled times: Lessons from the Irish experience,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 193-201.
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Lyons, Seán & Tol, Richard S. J., 2010. "Public Policy Towards the Sale of State Assets in Troubled Times: Lessons from the Irish Experience," Papers WP356, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Tol, Richard S. J., 2010. "The Research Output of Business Schools and Business Scholars in Ireland," Papers WP364, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Anthoff, David & Rose, Steven K. & Tol, Richard S. J. & Waldhoff, Stephanie, 2011.
"Regional and Sectoral Estimates of the Social Cost of Carbon: An Application of FUND,"
WP375, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Anthoff, David & Rose, Steven & Tol, Richard S. J. & Waldhoff, Stephanie, 2011. "Regional and sectoral estimates of the social cost of carbon: An application of FUND," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-18, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Devitt, Conor & Diffney, Seán & FitzGerald, John & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura & Tuohy, Aidan, 2011. "Goldilocks and the Three Electricity Prices: Are Irish Prices "Just Right"?," Papers WP372, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.