Outage Cost in Chilean Industry
AbstractThis paper estimates the cost of energy shortages to Chilean industry. The information was obtained from a sample-survey carried out shortly after the 1989 electricity restriction. The results obtained show that a 10%, one-month, equi-proportional restriction involves and average net outage cost of Usc 3.2 per kWh when a limited, selective restriction is applied. We show that, under current legislation, the outage cost in fact lies between the cost of an equiproportional and a selective restriction. However, subtle modifications to legislation would make it possible to allocate the scarce supply efficiently.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 10.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Clinton J., 1992. "An end-use approach to reliability investment analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 248-254, October.
- Todd Strauss & Shmuel Oren, 1993. "Priority Pricing of Interruptible Electric Service with an Early Notification Option," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 175-196.
- Beenstock, Michael, 1991. "Generators and the cost of electricity outages," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 283-289, October.
- Benjamin Bental & S. Abraham Ravid, 1982. "A Simple Method for Evaluating the Marginal Cost of Unsupplied Electricity," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 249-253, Spring.
- Michael J. Doane & Raymand S. Hartman & Chi-Keung Woo, 1988. "Household Preference for Interruptible Rate Options and the Revealed Value of Service Reliability," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 121-134.
- Dennis M. Keane & S. Leslie MacDonald & Chi-Keung Woo, 1988. "Estimating Residential Partial Outage Cost With Market Research Data," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 151-160.
- Pasha, Hafiz A. & Ghaus, Aisha & Malik, Salman, 1989. "The economic cost of power outages in the industrial sector of Pakistan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 301-318, October.
- Anderson, Roland & Taylor, Lewis, 1986. "The social cost of unsupplied electricity : A critical review," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 139-146, July.
- Chao, Hung-po & Wilson, Robert, 1987. "Priority Service: Pricing, Investment, and Market Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 899-916, December.
- M. Munasinghe & A. Sanghvi, 1988. "Reliability of Electricity Supply, Outage Costs and Value of Service: An Overview," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 1-18.
- Brown, Gardner, Jr & Johnson, M Bruce, 1969. "Public Utility Pricing and Output under Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 119-28, March.
- Chi-Keung Woo & Kenneth Train, 1988. "The Cost of Electric Power Interruptions to Commercial Firms," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 161-172.
- Andrew A. Goett & Daniel L. McFadden & Chi-Keung Woo, 1988. "Estimating Household Value of Electrical Service Reliability with Market Research Data," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 105-120.
- Kleindorfer, Paul R & Fernando, Chitru S, 1993. "Peak-Load Pricing and Reliability under Uncertainty," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23, March.
- Bernstein, Sebastian & Agurto, Renato, 1992. "Use of outage cost for electricity pricing in Chile," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 299-302, October.
- Bernstein, Sebastian, 1988. "Competition, marginal cost tariffs and spot pricing in the Chilean electric power sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 369-377, August.
- Hung-po Chao & Shmuel S. Oren & Stephen A. Smith & Robert B. Wilson, 1988. "Priority Service: Market Structure and Competition," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 77-104.
- Sanghvi, Arun P., 1983. "Optimal electricity supply reliability using customer shortage costs," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 129-136, April.
- Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2003.
"Regulatory governance and chile's 1998-1999 electricity shortage,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 105-125.
- Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2000. "Regulatory Governance and Chile's 1998-1999 Electricity Shortage," Documentos de Trabajo 84, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- growitsch, christian & Malischek, Raimund & Nick, Sebastian & Wetzel, Heike, 2013. "The Costs of Power Interruptions in Germany - an Assessment in the Light of the Energiewende," EWI Working Papers 2013-7, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Mark Lijesen, 2004. "Increasing the reliability of electricity production: a cost-benefit analysis," CPB Document 52, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Carlos Díaz & Alexander Galetovic & Raimundo Soto, .
"La crisis eléctrica de 1998-1999: causas, consecuencias y lecciones,"
ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers
inv126, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Carlos Díaz & Alexander Galetovic & Raimundo Soto, 2000. "La crisis eléctrica de 1998-1999: causas, consecuencias y lecciones," Documentos de Trabajo 81, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Myunghwan Kim & Seung-Hoon Yoo, 2012. "The Economic Cost of Unsupplied Diesel Product in Korea Using Input-Output Analysis," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(9), pages 3465-3478, September.
- Galetovic, Alexander & Muñoz, Cristián M., 2011. "Regulated electricity retailing in Chile," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6453-6465, October.
- Luise Röpke, 2013. "The Development of Renewable Energies and Supply Security: A Trade-Off Analysis," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 151, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Fischer, Ronald & Galetovic, Alexander, 2001. "Regulatory governance and Chile's 1998-99 electricity shortage," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2704, The World Bank.
- Piaszeck, Simon & Wenzel, Lars & Wolf, André, 2013. "Regional diversity in the costs of electricity outages: Results for German counties," HWWI Research Papers 142, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Rómulo Chumacero & Ricardo Paredes & José Miguel Sánchez, 2000. "Regulación para Crisis de Abastecimiento: Lecciones del Racionamiento Eléctrico en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 37(111), pages 323-338.
- Pepermans, Guido, 2010.
"The Value of Continuous Power Supply for Flemish Households,"
2010/24, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Pepermans, Guido, 2011. "The value of continuous power supply for Flemish households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7853-7864.
- Röpke, Luise, 2013. "The development of renewable energies and supply security: A trade-off analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1011-1021.
- Morimoto, Risako & Hope, Chris, 2004. "The impact of electricity supply on economic growth in Sri Lanka," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-85, January.
- Jeroen de Joode & Douwe Kingma & Mark Lijesen, 2004. "Energy policies and risks on energy markets; a cost-benefit analysis," CPB Special Publication 51, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Alexander Galetovic & Juan Ricardo Inostroza & Cristián Marcelo Muñoz, 2004. "Gas y Electricidad: ¿qué hacer ahora? (Gas and electricity: What should we do now?)," Documentos de Trabajo 198, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Claudia Mejía Pérez, 1999. "La pobreza en Colombia 1978 y 1995 : indicadores," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 51, pages 195-222, Julio Dic.
- de Nooij, Michiel & Koopmans, Carl & Bijvoet, Carlijn, 2007. "The value of supply security: The costs of power interruptions: Economic input for damage reduction and investment in networks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-295, March.
- Gabriele, Alberto, 2004. "Policy alternatives in reforming energy utilities in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1319-1337, July.
- Serra, Pablo J., 1997. "Energy pricing under uncertain supply," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 209-223, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.