Structural Error Correction Model: A Bayesian Perspective
AbstractThis paper proposes a Structural Error Correction Model (SECM) that allows concurrent estimation of the structural parameters and analysis of cointegration. We amalgamate the Bayesian methods of Kleibergen and Paap (2002) for analysis of cointegration in the ECM, and the Bayesian methods of Waggoner and Zha (2003) for estimating the structural parameters in BSVAR into our proposed model. Empirically, we apply the SCEM to four data generating processes, each with a different number of cointegrating vector. The results show that in each of the DGPs, the Bayes factors are able to select the appropriate cointegrating vectors and the estimated marginal posterior parametersâ€™ pdfs cover the actual values. Key words: structural error correction model
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 702.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
structural error correction model; cointegration; Bayesian; structural parameters; singular value decomposition.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-10-30 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-10-30 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sugita, K., 2001. "Bayesian Cointegration Analysis," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 591, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2002.
"Priors, posteriors and bayes factors for a Bayesian analysis of cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 1998. "Priors, posteriors and Bayes factors for a Bayesian analysis of cointegration," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9821, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1996.
"Bayesian methods for dynamic multivariate models,"
96-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Strachan, R., 2000.
"Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
6/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Strachan, Rodney W, 2003. "Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 185-95, January.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1996. "What Does Monetary Policy Do?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(2), pages 1-78.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, .
"Gibbs sampling approach to cointegration,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1336, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amisano, Gianni, 2003. "Bayesian inference in cointegrated systems," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 287-314, December.
- Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2000. "A Gibbs simulator for restricted VAR models," Working Paper 2000-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kleibergen, Frank & van Dijk, Herman K., 1994. "On the Shape of the Likelihood/Posterior in Cointegration Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 514-551, August.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.