Meetings With Costly Participation: A Comment
AbstractIn a recent paper Osborne, Rosenthal and Turner (2000) investigate a model of meetings with costly participation. Their main result is that the equilibrium number of participants is small and their positions are extreme. In particular, when the policy space is one-dimensional and the policy outcome is the median of participants' positions, they conclude that the number of attendees is even. The proof is flawed. We construct an example with an odd number of attendees. Oddness of the number of participants has a dramatic consequence on how equilibria look like.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía in its series Economics Working Papers with number we040502.
Date of creation: Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Francesco De Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2005. "Meetings with Costly Participation: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 1349-1350, September.
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulkley, George & Myles, Gareth D., 2001.
"Individually rational union membership,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 117-137, March.
- Bulkley, G. & Myles, G.D., 2000. "Individually-Relational Union Membership," Discussion Papers, Exeter University, Department of Economics 0008, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Bulkley, G. & Myles, G.D., 1996. "Individually Rational Union Membership," Discussion Papers, Exeter University, Department of Economics 9612, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Martin Osborne & Jeffry Rosenthal & Matthew A. Turner, 1998.
"Meetings with costly participation,"
mturner-98-02, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey S. Rosenthal & Martin J. Osborne & Matthew A. Turner, 2000. "Meetings with Costly Participation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 927-943, September.
- Martin J. Osborne & Jeffrey S. Rosenthal & Matthew A. Turner, 2005. "Meetings with Costly Participation: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 1351-1354, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.