Slotting Allowances and Conditional Payments
AbstractWe analyze the competitive effects of upfront payments made by manufacturers to retailersin a contracting situation where rival retailers offer contracts to a manufacturer. In contrast toBernheim and Whinston (1985, 1998), who study the situation in which competing manufacturersoffer contracts to a common retailer, we find that two-part tariffs (even if contingent onexclusivity or not) do not suffice to implement the monopoly outcome. More complex arrangementsare required to internalize all the contracting externalities. The retailers can for exampleachieve the monopoly outcome through (contingent) three-part tariffs that combine slotting allowances(i.e., upfront payments by the manufacturer) with two-part tariffs where the fees areconditional on actual trade. The welfare implications are ambiguous. On the one hand, slottingallowances ensure that no efficient retailer is excluded. On the other hand, they allow firms tomaintain monopoly prices in a common agency situation. Simulations suggest that the lattereffect is more significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2006-23.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Battigalli, Pierpaulo & Fumagalli, Chiara & Polo, Michele, 2006.
"Buyer Power and Quality Improvements,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stéphane Caprice, 2006. "Multilateral Vertical Contracting with an Alternative Supply: The Welfare Effects of a Ban on Price Discrimination," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, 02.
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2009.
"Buyer power in international markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 222-229, November.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2008. "Buyer Power in International Markets," Kiel Working Papers 1431, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2009. "Buyer Power in International Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2755, CESifo Group Munich.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2007. "Buyer Power in International Markets," Discussion Papers dp07-23, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
- �ystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind, 2008.
"Do Slotting Allowances Harm Retail Competition?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(2), pages 367-384, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.