Loss-leaders Banning Laws as Vertical Restraints
AbstractThis paper explores the indirect in‡ationary mechanism allowed byloss leaders banning laws. In a model where a monopolist producer sells his productthrough vertically separated and di¤erentiated retailers, we show that the ban of resaleat a loss can be used strategically by the producer to increase his wholesale price andpay the retailers through negotiated listing fees, thus raising his pro…t. The ban turnswholesale prices into ‡oor prices, thus increasing resale price and lessening consumers’welfare. These results are robust if the listing fees are two-part tari¤.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2004-19.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Allain Marie-Laure & Chambolle Claire, 2005. "Loss-Leaders Banning Laws as Vertical Restraints," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-25, February.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claire Chambolle, 2000.
"Stratégies de revente à perte et réglementation,"
2000-52, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Stiglitz, J. & Rey, P., 1988.
"Vertical Restraints And Producers' Competition,"
13, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Lal, Rajiv & Matutes, Carmen, 1994. "Retail Pricing and Advertising Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 345-70, July.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bliss, Christopher, 1988. "A Theory of Retail Pricing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 375-91, June.
- McAfee, R Preston & Schwartz, Marius, 1994. "Opportunism in Multilateral Vertical Contracting: Nondiscrimination, Exclusivity, and Uniformity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 210-30, March.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach, 2008. "Complementarities, Below-Cost Pricing, and Welfare Losses," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 788, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dubois, Pierre & Jodar-Rosell, Sandra, 2010.
"Price and Brand Competition between Differentiated Retailers: A Structural Econometric Model,"
TSE Working Papers
10-159, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Dubois, Pierre & Jodar-Rosell, Sandra, 2010. "Price and Brand Competition between Differentiated Retailers: A Structural Econometric Model," IDEI Working Papers 604, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Dubois, Pierre & Jodar Rosell, Sandra, 2010. "Price and Brand Competition between Differentiated Retailers: A Structural Econometric Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 7847, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle, 2011.
"Anti-Competitive Effects of resale-Below-Cost Laws,"
- Allain, Marie-Laure & Chambolle, Claire, 2011. "Anti-competitive effects of resale-below-cost laws," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 373-385, July.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle, 2007. "Anti-Competitive Effects of Resale-Below-Cost Laws," Working Papers 2007-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Célérier, C., 2009. "Forecasting inflation in France," Working papers 262, Banque de France.
- Zhijun Chen & Patrick Rey, 2010.
"Loss Leading as an Exploitative Practice,"
- Rey, Patrick & Chen, Zhijun, 2010. "Loss Leading as an Exploitative Practice," IDEI Working Papers 658, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Dec 2011.
- Rey, Patrick & Chen, Zhijun, 2010. "Loss Leading as an Exploitative Practice," TSE Working Papers 10-218, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Dec 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.