Managed Floating: Understanding the New International Monetary Order
AbstractAlthough there seems to be a broad consensus among economists that purely floating or completely fixed exchange rates (the so-called corner solutions) are the only viable alternatives of exchange rate management, many countries do not behave according to this paradigm and adopt a strategy within the broad spectrum of exchange rate regimes that is limited by the two corner solutions. These intermediate regimes are characterized by significant foreign exchange market interventions of central banks and a certain degree of exchange rate flexibility. We develop a new empirical methodology that identifies three different forms of floating on the basis of a central bank's intervention activity: pure floating (no interventions), independent floating (exchange rate smoothing), and managed floating (exchange rate targeting). Our cross-country study shows that exchange rate targeting is at least as important as exchange rate smoothing. Subsequently we present a monetary policy framework in which central banks use the exchange rate as an operating target of monetary policy. We explain the mechanics of interventions and sterilization and we explain why a central bank has an interest in controlling simultaneously the exchange rate and the short-term interest rate. We derive the monetary policy rules for our two operating targets from a simple open economy macro model in which the uncovered interest parity condition and the Monetary Conditions Index play a central role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3064.
Date of creation: Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Bofinger, Peter & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2001. "Managed floating: Understanding the new international monetary order," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 30, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1993.
"Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995. "Fixing exchange rates A virtual quest for fundamentals," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-37, August.
- Flood, R.P. & Rose, A.K., 1992. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," Papers 529, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," NBER Working Papers 4503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997.
"Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998. "Monetary policy rules in practice Some international evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1033-1067, June.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," Working Papers 97-32, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 2000. "MCIs and monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1677-1700, October.
- David H. Romer, 2000.
"Keynesian Macroeconomics without the LM Curve,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 149-169, Spring.
- Stanley Fischer, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Is the Bipolar View Correct?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 3-24, Spring.
- Juraj Antal & Tomáš Holub, 2007. "Exchange Rate Arrangements Prior to Euro Adoption," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 1(3), pages 312-323, November.
- Guillermo J. Escudé (ed.), 2008. "ARGEM: A Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model for Argentina," BCRA Paper Series, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, number 05, October.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen, 2003.
"Revisiting the Interest Rate-Exchange Rate Nexus: A Markov Switching Approach,"
0303002, EconWPA, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Chen, Shiu-Sheng, 2006. "Revisiting the interest rate-exchange rate nexus: a Markov-switching approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 208-224, February.
- Andrea Bubula & Inci Ã–tker, 2002. "The Evolution of Exchange Rate Regimes Since 1990: Evidence From De Facto Policies," IMF Working Papers 02/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Gonzalo Caprirolo & Vladimir Lavrac, 2003. "Monetary and Exchange Rate Policy in Slovenia," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp17g, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 May 2003.
- Hoda Selim, 2012. "Has Egypt'S Exchange Rate Policy Changed After The Float?," Middle East Development Journal (MEDJ), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(01), pages 1250005-1-1.
- Isriya Nitithanprapas & Thomas D. Willett, 2002. "Classifying Exchange Rate Regimes," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2002-22, Claremont Colleges.
- Aleš Bulíø, 2005.
"Liberalized Markets Have More Stable Exchange Rates: Short-Run Evidence from Four Transition Countries,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(5-6), pages 206-231, May.
- Ales Bulir, 2004. "Liberalized Markets Have More Stable Exchange Rates: Short-Run Evidence from Four Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 04/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Felix Hammermann, 2003. "Comparing Monetary Policy Strategies: Towards a Generalized Reaction Function," Kiel Working Papers 1170, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Timo Wollmershäuser, 2003. "Sterilisierte Devisenmarktinterventionen - ein umstrittenes währungspolitisches Instrument," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 56(19), pages 34-44, October.
- Adam Gersl & Tomás Holub, 2006.
"Foreign Exchange Interventions Under Inflation Targeting: The Czech Experience,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(4), pages 475-491, October.
- Tomas Holub, 2004. "Foreign Exchange Interventions Under Inflation Targeting: The Czech Experience," Research and Policy Notes 2004/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Holub, Tomáš, 2004. "Foreign exchange interventions under inflation targeting: the Czech Experience," Research Notes 17, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Mauricio A. Hernández Monsalve & Ramón Javier Mesa Callejas, 2006.
"El efecto de las intervenciones cambiarias: la experiencia colombiana 2004-2006,"
BORRADORES DEL CIE
004192, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Hernández Monsalve, Mauricio Alberto & Mesa Callejas, Ramón Javier, 2006. "El efecto de las intervenciones cambiarias: la experiencia colombiana 2004-2006," MPRA Paper 942, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2006.
- Wai-Ching Poon, 2010. "A monetary policy rule: The augmented Monetary Conditions Index for Philippines using UECM and bounds tests," Monash Economics Working Papers 04-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Benassy-Quere, Agnes & Coeure, Benoit & Mignon, Valerie, 2006. "On the identification of de facto currency pegs," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 112-127, March.
- Chayawadee Chai-anant & Runchana Pongsaparn & Kessarin Tansuwanarat, 2008. "Roles of Exchange Rate in Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting: A Case Study for Thailand," Working Papers 2008-03, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Peter Bofinger & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2003. "Managed Floating as a Monetary Policy Strategy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 81-109, June.
- Ales Bulir, 2003. "Some Exchange Rates Are More Stable than Others: Short-Run Evidence from Transition Countries," Working Papers 2003/05, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.