Estimating the Effects of Tax Reform in Differentiated Product Oligopolistic Markets
AbstractThe incidence of taxation and the design of an optimal tax system have been extensively discussed in the public finance literature but mainly within a competitive market setting or within a homogenous good (Cournot type) oligopoly. In a differentiated product oligopoly, the effect of taxation can be more complex as the rate of taxation may affect not only the prices, but also the profile and quality of products that are sold in the market. In this paper, we examine the effects of changing tax regimes in a differentiated product oligopoly. In order to illustrate our approach, we employ data from one such market: the automobile market in Israel. The analysis involves two steps. We first estimate the Nash equilibrium in a differentiated product oligopoly and then use the results to simulate the new equilibrium under different tax regimes. Using the estimated parameters from the current market equilibrium, we examine the effect of changes in tax policy on tax incidence, market prices, sales (and the types of cars sold in the market), consumer surplus, firms' profits, as well as government revenues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2107.
Date of creation: Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Fershtman, C. & Gandal, N. & Markovich, S., 1998. "Estimating the Effect of Tax Reform in Differentiated Product Oligopolistic Markets," Discussion Paper 1998-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fershtman, C. & Gandal, N. & Markovich, S., 1997. "Estimating the Effect of Tax Reform in Differentiated Product Oligopolistic Markets," Papers 29-97, Tel Aviv.
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1986.
"The Theory of Excess Burden and Optimal Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
1025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael L. Katz & Harvey S. Rosen, 1985. "Tax Analysis in an Oligopoly Model," NBER Working Papers 1088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Gruenspecht, Howard K., 1988. "Export subsidies for differentiated products," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 331-344, May.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/101467 is not listed on IDEAS
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, 1995. "Product Differentiation and Oligopoly in International Markets: The Case of the U.S. Automobile Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 891-951, July.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1993.
"Commodity Taxation in a Differentiated Oligopoly,"
IDEI Working Papers
25, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Cremer, H. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Commodity taxation in a differentiated oligopoly," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CREMER, Helmut & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1992. "Commodity taxation in a differentiated oligopoly," CORE Discussion Papers 1992035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kenkel, Donald S, 1996. "New Estimates of the Optimal Tax on Alcohol," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(2), pages 296-319, April.
- Barnett, Paul G. & Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei, 1995. "Oligopoly structure and the incidence of cigarette excise taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 457-470, July.
- Myles, G. D., 1987. "Tax design in the presence of imperfect competition : An example," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 367-378, December.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1994. "Commodity Taxation in a Differentiated Oligopoly," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Frank Verboven, 1996. "International Price Discrimination in the European Car Market," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(2), pages 240-268, Summer.
- Franco Mariuzzo & Patrick Paul Walsh & Ciara Whelan, 2009.
"Coverage of Retail Stores and Discrete Choice Models of Demand: Estimating Price Elasticities and Welfare Effects,"
200922, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Mariuzzo, Franco & Walsh, Patrick Paul & Whelan, Ciara, 2010. "Coverage of retail stores and discrete choice models of demand: Estimating price elasticities and welfare effects," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 555-578, September.
- Moraga-Gonzalez, Jose Luis & Viaene, Jean-Marie, 2005. "Trade policy and quality leadership in transition economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 359-385, February.
- Adamos Adamou & Sofronis Clerides & Theodoros Zachariadis, 2012. "Trade-offs in CO2-Oriented Vehicle Tax Reforms: A Case Study of Greece," Working Paper Series 33_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Lanot, Gauthier, 2003. "Measuring tax incidence: an application to mortgage provision in the UK," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(7-8), pages 1747-1778, August.
- José Luis Moraga Gonzales & Jean-Marie Viaene, 2001.
"Procompetitive Trade Policies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
597, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kim, Donghun, 2004. "Market Structure, Price Pass-Through and Welfare with Differentiated Products," Research Reports 25157, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Dong Choi & Jongeun Oh & Yeonbae Kim & Junseok Hwang, 2012. "Competition in the Korean Internet Portal Market: Network Effects, Profit, and Market Efficiency," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 51-73, February.
- Mackay, Daniel, 2011. "Estimating the impact of investment tax credits on aircraft demand," MPRA Paper 32767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adamos Adamou & Sofronis Clerides & Theodoros Zachariadis, 2012. "Assessment of CO2-Oriented Vehicle Tax Reforms: A Case Study of Greece," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 04-2012, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.