Banknote Printing At Modern Central Banking:Trends, Costs, And Efficiency
AbstractThis paper examines trends in banknote printing during the period 2000-2005 for a crosssection of 56 central banks. Because of the high increase in the demand for currency in recent years, central banks have implemented new strategies to increase efficiency in the production of banknotes. Some of them, involve the private sector by means of different modalities (e.g. joint ventures, subsidiaries or purchase of banknotes from specialized companies), and the integration of banknote printing and cash processing in a single complex (e.g. Portugal and Colombia). A cost function using a panel data model with random effects was estimated. It was identified that the denomination structure, the size of banknotes, and the production method used by central banks have a significant impact on production costs. Government printing was found to be the most costly method, while private-sector involvement in the process substantially reduces production costs. Using a non-parametric efficient frontier model, it was found that most central banks have increased its technical efficiency during the period, especially in central banks where the privatesector has involved. Computing a Malmquist index through distance functions it was identified that central banks have showed a moderate increase in its productivity, primarily due to increases in efficiency and, in a lower proportion to technical change. In most of the cases, a positive change in efficiency is mainly the result of higher scale efficiency. This could obey to high increase in demand for currency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 004393.
Date of creation: 19 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Jorge Eduardo Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento Paipilla, . "Banknote Printing At Modern Central Banking: Trends, Costs, And Efficiency," Borradores de Economia 476, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mal - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - - - -
- Ind - Health, Education, and Welfare - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loretta J. Mester, 2003. "Applying efficiency measurement techniques to central banks," Working Papers 03-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul Wilson, 2004. "Trends in the efficiency of Federal Reserve check processing operations," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 7-20.
- Jorge Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento Paipilla, .
"Staff, Functions, and Staff Costs at Central Banks: An International Comparison with a Labor-demand Model,"
Borradores de Economia
419, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Jorge Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento, 2006. "Staff, Functions, and Staff Costs at Central Banks: An International Comparison with a Labor-demand Model," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003524, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997. "Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker, 1993. "Should we subsidize the use of currency?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 47-73.
- José De Gregorio, 2003.
"Mucho Dinero y Poca Inflación: Chile y la Evidencia Internacional,"
Economic Policy Papers Central Bank of Chile
08, Central Bank of Chile.
- José De Gregorio, 2003. "Mucho Dinero y Poca Inflación: Chile y la Evidencia Internacional," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(121), pages 716-724.
- James Bohn & Diana Hancock & Paul Bauer, 2001. "Estimates of scale and cost efficiency for Federal Reserve currency operations," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 2-26.
- Carlos A. Arango A. & Martha A. Misas A. & Juan Nicolás Hernández, 2004.
"La Demanda De Especies Monetarias En Colombia: Estructura Y Pronóstico,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002964, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos A. Arango A. & Martha Misas A. & Juan Nicolás Hernández, . "La Demanda de Especies Monetarias en Colombia: Estructura y Pronóstico," Borradores de Economia 309, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1999.
"Technical Progress, Inefficiency, and Productivity Change in U.S. Banking, 1984-1993,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 212-34, May.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Technical progress, inefficiency and productivity change in U.S. banking, 1984-1993," Working Papers 1994-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Jerry Mushin, 1998. "Modeling the currency issue," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(3), pages 252-258, September.
- Javier E. Pirateque & José H. Piñeros & Linda Mondragón, 2013. "Eficiencia de los establecimientos bancarios (EB): una aproximación mediante modelos DEA," Borradores de Economia 798, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Bouhdaoui, Y. & Bounie, D. & Van Hove, L., 2013. "When do plastic bills lower the bill for the central bank? A model and estimates for the U.S," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 45-60.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.