Trends in the efficiency of Federal Reserve check processing operations
AbstractThe Monetary Control Act of 1980 requires the Federal Reserve to charge customers for financial services, with the intent of improving the efficiency with which Fed offices deliver those services. Prior studies found little improvement in the efficiency of Fed check processing operations after pricing was implemented in 1982. This article examines the efficiency of Fed check operations using a longer sample period (1980:Q1–2003:Q3) than previous studies and new methods for estimating efficiency. The authors find that the median office became somewhat less efficient when pricing was introduced, but that efficiency improved through the 1990s. Although they find that Fed offices became somewhat less efficient on average after 1999, this might reflect adjustments associated with declining check volumes and implementation of a common operating platform across System offices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Sep ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Bauer, Paul W & Ferrier, Gary D, 1996.
"Scale Economies, Cost Efficiencies, and Technological Change in Federal Reserve Payments Processing,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 1004-39, November.
- Paul W. Bauer & Gary D. Ferrier, 1996. "Scale economies, cost efficiencies, and technological change in Federal Reserve payments processing," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 1004-1044.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Hancock, Diana, 1993. "The efficiency of the Federal Reserve in providing check processing services," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 287-311, April.
- Wheelock, David C. & Wilson, Paul W., 2008.
"Non-parametric, unconditional quantile estimation for efficiency analysis with an application to Federal Reserve check processing operations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 209-225, July.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul Wilson, 2007. "Non-parametric, unconditional quantile estimation for efficiency analysis with an application to Federal Reserve check processing operations," Working Papers 2005-027, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cristina Suárez & Justo Jorge, 2010. "Efficiency convergence processes and effects of regulation in the nonspecialized retail sector in Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 573-597, June.
- Jorge Eduardo Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento Paipilla, 2007.
"Banknote Printing At Modern Central Banking:Trends, Costs, And Efficiency,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004393, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Jorge Eduardo Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento Paipilla, . "Banknote Printing At Modern Central Banking: Trends, Costs, And Efficiency," Borradores de Economia 476, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.